Brewtan

Discuss malts, hops, and yeast, not related to a specific recipe

Moderator: Brandon

Futur

Re: Brewtan

Postby Futur » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:What is the proposed mechanism of action for blocking SMB?

I don't have one sorry, it's an assumption I've made based on the results I observed. I'm only a brewer with relatively limited knowledge when it comes to the chemistry involved. Do you have any possible ideas as to what has caused increased DO levels in the samples?

Ancient Abbey wrote:I'm curious as to what could cause a link between BB and increased DO levels. Air trapped in the powder? It is a PITA to mix and dissolves thoroughly.

I probably should have taken control samples with only Brewtan added to water and taken measurements. I should possibly redo this experiment, seeing what impact brewtan alone does to O2 levels in a sample of water.

Techbrau wrote:Hmm, that's a very interesting idea. I am starting to experiment with 30 mg/l SMB + 30 mg/l BB in my water and so far I haven't taken any DO readings, but anecdotally the wort was just as bright and full flavored (maybe the flavor was even a hair better) as the rest of my LoDO batches that used SMB only.

I'd be interested if you or anyone else receives similar results, and to be honest I've done multiple lodo batches utilising Brewtan B and had great results also.
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:41 am

I've not messed with it yet, but did try a beer from a friend's commercial brewery over the weekend that he was playing with brewtan in. In his ipa it turned 2 row and a bit of c60 into straight marris otter. It really turned an ipa into a nice malty pale ale .
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:26 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:
Bryan R wrote:I tested Brewtan years ago when it used to be Tanal-b, I saw zero impact or benefit to my style of brewing, and deemed it a lame duck. Tanal-a on the other hand is a great product to keep wheat beers turbid, I have used it with much success. It pays to have a commercial account and go right though wyeast

What changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was pre-low oxygen( the years ago comment, before it was brewtan b). So once I stopped oxidizing my beer, things can now be noticed.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Big Monk wrote:So you're looking for more or less Meta? That makes sense that you would alter it then.

0.37 g/gal is the supplier recommendation and gives 50 ppm Meta if I remember correctly. You have to watch the Dose with Antioxin because of the Potassium though.

When I came up with the concept and term of the LODO Trifecta, I looked for commercial sources first. Most listed their chemicals on their MSDS sheets, but not their ratios. I have been mixing mine individually from day one. I target the blends to the beer style, water composition, yeast strain, fermentation temperature and desired flavor profile.
- The best do the basics better -
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Ancient Abbey wrote:
Big Monk wrote:So you're looking for more or less Meta? That makes sense that you would alter it then.

0.37 g/gal is the supplier recommendation and gives 50 ppm Meta if I remember correctly. You have to watch the Dose with Antioxin because of the Potassium though.

When I came up with the concept and term of the LODO Trifecta, I looked for commercial sources first. Most listed their chemicals on their MSDS sheets, but not their ratios. I have been mixing mine individually from day one. I target the blends to the beer style, water composition, yeast strain, fermentation temperature and desired flavor profile.

Good to hear. A bunch of people from the AHA forum who have started to adopt the methods are having great luck with their custom blends as well. There is quite a bit of freedom there.
Check us out at lowoxygenbrewing.com