Reducing Power of Various Hop Varieties

Moderator: Brandon

catsnbeer

Reducing Power of Various Hop Varieties

Postby catsnbeer » Tue May 17, 2016 2:10 am

First post here - this forum piqued my interest in beer oxidation. I found this study very interesting. I have always heard that mash hopping was an old german brewing technique - people trying to make hoppy beers always talk about how useless it is as a technique for adding hop character. After reading this paper and what is being discussed on this forum, I wonder if mash hopping started due to the reducing power of the polyphenols in hops?

https://www.uclouvain.be/cps/ucl/doc/in ... ieties.pdf
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: Reducing Power of Various Hop Varieties

Postby Owenbräu » Wed May 18, 2016 9:37 am

It seems that a lot of the compounds responsible for the flavors we want from malt and hops are excellent oxygen scavengers themselves.
- The best do the basics better -
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Wed May 18, 2016 9:55 am

Indeed, with the implication being that once those aromatic/antioxidant compounds get used up scavenging oxygen, their flavors are destroyed. And by destroyed I don't mean that they just disappear, I mean that they turn into bad flavors which carry over into the finished beer.

Low oxygen brewing is a game of preventing the natural antioxidants in the malt and hops from ever actually being exposed to oxygen. You want them for their flavor, not for their antioxidant capabilities.
Last edited by Techbrau on Wed May 18, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Wed May 18, 2016 10:01 am

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Wed May 18, 2016 11:49 am