Best Heidelberg Malt

Moderator: Brandon

Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Best Heidelberg Malt

Postby Natebriscoe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:47 am

I recently picked up a sack of Heidelberg Malt to try out. Does anyone here have some experience with it? If so what flavor are you getting from it? Sounds like a lighter color lighter flavor pilsner malt.
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: Best Heidelberg Malt

Postby Natebriscoe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:37 am

Side note, I have seen it called kolsch malt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:40 am

Interesting. Where have you seen it called that? The Schill kolsch malt is more like Vienna.

I have a sac of Heidelberg but haven't Brewed with it yet.
- The best do the basics better -
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: RE: Re: Best Heidelberg Malt

Postby Natebriscoe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:19 am

mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:18 pm

I love Heidelberg. Incredibly pale color - rich sweet malt flavor. I am willing to bet it is used in a lot of Kolsch and Weiss (meaning Kolsch with Wheat) given the location of the farms and maltster being just down the Rhine from Koln. Makes great Kolsch, Helles and very pale Pils. I love it also for Belgians - especially as a base for pale saisons. I would put it a close second to Weyermann in quality and flavor - if a bit lighter in color.

I get a few more thins than I do with Weyermann, so I have to set my mill a tick tighter.

To note, I have gotten a bad bag that apparently had been sitting a while in a hot humid Texas warehouse for a long time. The lot number showed it was nearly 3 years old. A second bag (and fresh) solved that problem, and CMT grudgingly took the old back. I usually buy 2-3 bags a year in bulk. I now check the lot numbers on receiving and double check the number against my invoices.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Brighter mals in the 2.5-3 EBC range are often used for export (see Edelstoff).

I made some very nice beers with it and the paler colour allows perfectly for loading up a little more with the "oomphier" malts ;)
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Best Heidelberg Malt

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Yeah, I planned to use it for leichtbier, witbier and international pale lagers. I think it's probably good for Bavarian Pilsner as well, given the specs Narziss lay's out (though not all Bavarian breweries follow it, of course). I like the idea of using it for Belgians too
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:08 pm

I used it in a Golden Strong, fermented cool (62F if my notes are correct) to restrain the spice from the yeast and avoid fusels. It took a while to finish. I don't normally bottle condition, but I did this one (cork/cage to 3.8 volumes) - came out at just over 9% and was incredibly delicate, a little bit of stone fruit and just enough spice to remain in the strong golden range. Just 100% Heidelberg - nothing else, mashed at 144F for 90 min and mashed out with a 30 minute ramp to 170F. One of the best beers I have ever made. Fermented on WY1388. I am actually afraid to remake - I drank so much of it over Christmas a couple of years ago. Fuzzy holiday.

A gallon went onto some oak cubes with dregs from Russian River Damnation, and a touch of honey for re-fermentation. Didn't come out as well as the clean beer. Tasty though.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:37 pm

The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:40 am