Page 2 of 2

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 am
by bjanat
Bryan R wrote:I don't think it's very "uncharted" Kunze speaks of oxygen reduction potential of SG. My SMB dose is 30mgl but I only use 10mgl of my sulfites from dough in to yeast pitch( this is with a 3hr cold trub separation process with multiple rackings ) since I started using SG. The beers are lighter in color, better in flavor, better fermentations, and clearer beer faster. Hell my mash times even went down because it activates the enzymes faster. It's a NOTABLE improvement across the whole process.

Interested to know more about the trub separation process, what type of racking.

And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:22 am
by Bryan R
bjanat wrote:
And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?



Hah, no way! 10 minutes left.

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:32 am
by Ancient Abbey
bjanat wrote:And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?


Only if you are making a Berlinerweisse :tu

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 am
by Bryan R
bjanat wrote:
Bryan R wrote:I don't think it's very "uncharted" Kunze speaks of oxygen reduction potential of SG. My SMB dose is 30mgl but I only use 10mgl of my sulfites from dough in to yeast pitch( this is with a 3hr cold trub separation process with multiple rackings ) since I started using SG. The beers are lighter in color, better in flavor, better fermentations, and clearer beer faster. Hell my mash times even went down because it activates the enzymes faster. It's a NOTABLE improvement across the whole process.

Interested to know more about the trub separation process, what type of racking.

And is SG added after the boil, allowing lacto to live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]


I will detail it here soonish. Got a bunch of things I am trying to put together and post. This is one of them.

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:54 pm
by Weizenberg
SG is bascially what we know as Biological acids.

So you use it to lower the mash and wort in the boil when necessary.

I've recorded my thoughts on this issue here, and the benefits there.

Think of it like this. Instead of using lactic-acid (or whatever other abomination), use SG instead.

However, there is a lot more to it, but these benefits are well understood.

Here is an interesting PDF from the Hefebank Weihenstephan which gives a nice top-level overview.

Hope it's useful.

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:07 am
by Ancient Abbey

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 am
by bensonledbetter
Hey @Techbrau, did you ever take any pictures of your process?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:40 pm
by Techbrau
bensonledbetter wrote:Hey @Techbrau, did you ever take any pictures of your process?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk


Yes, here's some pictures of what I'm doing nowadays:

IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG (67.9 KiB) Viewed 230 times

IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG (80.85 KiB) Viewed 230 times


I save enough wort from each mash to fill a 2000 ml erlenmeyer flask. If I'm starting a fresh culture, I add 40g of raw pilsner malt and 40g of acidulated malt. If I'm just topping up an existing culture, I don't add any malt.

I cover the mouth of the flask with some sanitized foil and rubber band it in place. This keeps air from getting in but will let pressure vent out. I incubate it in a sous vide water bath at 118 F for 24 hours, at which point it reaches about 0.8-1.0% acidity.

For long term storage, I freeze it in blocks or ice cubes and then vacuum seal those and throw them in the freezer.

Could not be simpler, and very little extra work on top of a normal brewday. I found that I like freezing the sauergut better than keeping it in the fridge, because IMO it starts to go a little dull after a couple weeks in the fridge, but not when frozen.

Re: Techbrau's sauergut method

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am
by brewcrew7
If I could brew more often I'd really like to give this process a try, seeing as I've done it essentially for a berliner weisse. The frozen cubes sounds like a great idea, good to hear that it works.