Malt lot Analysis

Moderator: Brandon

Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Malt lot Analysis

Postby Natebriscoe » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Is distilled wort ph standard info on malt analysis sheets? None of my sacks have an actual analysis with them, just a lot #. The only place I find any specs is on country malts site and its very minimal. Does one have to email the maltster and request information for every sack?
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Malt lot Analysis

Postby caedus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

A lot of the time you can find it on the maltsters web page.

It won't have distilled wort pH. However, what is the standard ratio for measuring distilled mash pH? I would assume some 1:10 ratio, but I just haven't done the research.

ive always used ez water/braukaiser for pH info and always hit my mash pH.
lindh

Postby lindh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:43 am

Male a search for "congress mash" in advanced brewing litterature or Braukaiser to get the specs for the standard malt analysis method.

Found this on VLB, page 6;

https://www.vlb-berlin.org/sites/defaul ... meters.pdf

Blog:
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:27 am

Interesting Bryan and Derek make it sound like this info is really available. On the AHA forum Bryan through out, like 50g malt to 200ml water.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 am

It really depends.

For e.g. when I ordered a palette of malt from Best, the analysis sheets arrived per email even before the malt got delivered.

When I dealt with Charles Farnham for Weyermann malts, the specifications where also sent without me needing to ask. Same for Bairds.

All these are (obviously) suppliers to the professional trade. Whenever I want smaller amounts for samples/tests/fillers and need to go through home brew stores I always need to ask for the analysis sheets. Nowadays I ask for them before I even buy stuff.

Once enough people demand analysis sheets before they buy, traders will get used to keep them in their records or link them in their product description page.

IIRC Weyermann has a bar code and a link to the analysis on the side of their bags.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:56 am

Country malt has a special coding system, and it is hand written on the packing slip. If you don't save this when unloading the pallet, then you have to track the sacs through customer service. Country malts is functional, but they don't make it easy. I think this reads more to the fact that American brewers aren't asking for the info, otherwise they would have a better system.

If you have the number written on the packing slip, then for all import grains GWP00 must be put in front of the lot # written down in order to pull up the analysis through their online portal.
- The best do the basics better -