The Six-rowification of North American Two-row

Moderator: Brandon

Brody
Assistant Brewer

The Six-rowification of North American Two-row

Postby Brody » Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 pm

http://masterbrewerspodcast.com/089-the ... _id=427399

In this podcast, discussing malt, the "Group Director, Brewing Raw Materials at Anheuser-Busch, Inc." keeps stating that helles and czech pils are very low attenuating beers (in the 60s). Is he misspeaking or am I misunderstanding something. From what I've seen (WO stats for one) it's more like over 80.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Re: The Six-rowification of North American Two-row

Postby lupulus » Tue May 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Oops Brody, just saw you also asked the question here, so I am posting the answer too.
Hope all is well. Cheers !!
Fermentability/ attenuation is defined by the ability of the enzymes to break down the long chain carbohydrates, mostly amylopectin and amylose. Amylopectin has alpha 1-6 bonds at the branches, the rest are alpha 1-4 bonds, amylose has only alpha 1-4 bonds. Because alpha and beta amylase combined can only break alpha 1-4 bonds, the fermentability of the wort is defined by the carbohydrates that cannot be broken down because of the alpha 1-6 bonds they have. Unfermentable carbohydrates in wort are in the order of 25-27% depending on the grain and other parameters (the range is a bit more than 25-27%). Reversing this information, fermentable carbohydrates in wort are at most 73-75%; in other words, real attenuation is at most 73-75%.
Because real attenuation is not easy to measure, most brewers use apparent attenuation as a proxy. Because alcohol is less dense than water, apparent attenuation can reach much higher values, as you mentioned.
Hope this explains :-)
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Re: The Six-rowification of North American Two-row

Postby Brody » Sat May 26, 2018 10:52 am

Makes sense, appreciate it!