Split grain decoction

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Split grain decoction

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:49 am

Is there anything in the literature on splitting up different types of grains when doing a decoction? That is, using malts that are well modified and freely give up their starch in the main mash, then doughing in the decoction separately using less modified, more stubborn malts. For example, putting all of your pilsner and caramalts in the main mash, then using the light and dark Munich in the decoction. I suppose this would work well for wheat too.
- The best do the basics better -
lhommedieu

Re: Split grain decoction

Postby lhommedieu » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 pm

I haven't seen anything - but my knowledge the literature is limited. I don't see anything in Noonan's "Brewing Lager Beer," for example; I'll look through Kunze this weekend. I've promised myself a copy of deClerck for my birthday in March.

One thing that I've learned, though, is that it's hard to find under-modified grain that has been traditionally used in the decoction method. I've been told that Weyermann's Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner (light and dark) is slightly under-modified, although the spec sheets make me wonder why. I think that I may be too hung up on the Kolbach index (the last Weyermann malt that I used had a Kolbach index of 42.1 - and that left me scratching my head); perhaps it's the viscosity level to which I should be paying attention, as this may indicate whether Beta Glucanase has been kilned out of the grain. Noonan says that grains with a higher viscosity lend themselves better to decoction method.

I'm still learning, and at any rate, the Weyermann's floor malted has been my choice for decoction method. I've been happy with the results.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:00 pm

Keep it simple
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:16 am

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Noonan's book is a great introduction to the basic concepts.

For an in-depth view of decent brewing methods and their variations, professional literature is indispensable. Kunze, DeClerck, Esslinger and last not least Narziss & Beck have all produced the literature used to train and educate brewmasters around the globe.

For decoction mashing Narziss is the most detailed -- but they all have their strength and weaknesses.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com