pH Adjustments

Times, hopping methods, etc

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

pH Adjustments

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:49 am

In reading Kai's work, he states the boil kettle pH should be adjusted before the boil, as this reduces harshness from hops. In Bryan's video, he claims his method is to adjust pH as he transfers from the mash tun to the boil kettle. However, other folks claim the proper German method is to adjust pH after the boil so that you do not negatively affect isomerization.

I am curious how the Germans would have corrected for pH after the mash, since lacto is not Reinheitsgebot approved. This suggests to me that they made adjustments before the boil, maybe by adding more acid malt very late in the mash.

What do you do and why?
- The best do the basics better -
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Re: pH Adjustments

Postby Brody » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:24 am

I went into my last brew day intending to mash at 5.4 and adjust down to 5.2 with lactic acid towards the end of the boil. But it naturally ended up at 5.1 at knockout anyway.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 am

Sauergut.

Though I do use the boil adjustments interchangeably. Some beers I will do a post mash drop to lower. Some beers I do a 10 minute left in boil lower for cold break formation.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 am

Early adjustments for helles and Pilsner, late adjustment for dunkel and bock? That the rule of thumb?
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:50 am

Sort of. Generally hop dependent, the more the lower.

Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:40 pm

lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:50 pm

I used to believe the difference in break was between maltsters and/or a protein rest, as sometimes I would see large, egg-drop break, and sometimes I would see fine, granular break. I'm wondering if it is pH now. Do you all see "egg drop soup" at lower pH or higher pH?
Last edited by Owenbräu on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Egg drop soup happens around 5.3-5.4. Cold break is better around 5.0-5.1. This is one reason to achieve hot break at a higher pH, then adjust before the end of the boil to a lower pH. Keep in mind that the pH should naturally drop a bit in the boil.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
coerpus

Postby coerpus » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:51 pm

5.2 has been proven to be snake oil. It's a mix of salts and phosphates that only work in a narrow liquor range of alkalinity. Use your pH meter and measure it... Doesn't work for 99% of US tap water.

5.1 in the kettle is the right range for fluffy hot break formation, which is achieved by a mash pH of 5.4 (at room temps). 5.3-5.2 you will have thinner and smaller hot break. You can dropper in lactic (if not observing purity) and visually see the break formation change, and is one of the few visual confirmations of mash chemistry.