The role of oxygen in brewing

Books, websites, links to documents of interest.

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

The role of oxygen in brewing

Postby Brandon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:41 pm

Not sure if we've captured this somewhere...I didn't see it on a quick search of the forum or 'Advanced'

The role of oxygen in brewing.pdf
(106.83 KiB) Downloaded 1153 times
Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: The role of oxygen in brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:12 am

Thanks
- The best do the basics better -
Foleybräu

Postby Foleybräu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:54 am

Hi All, been lurking a while but not contributing....
I've noticed that many very very good breweries in Germany use a lauter grant, in their traditional brewhouses (at least on the surface - robots out back filing kegs). I've had world class beers out of such places. this doesn't seem to align with the low O2 hot side environments which you may find at Weihenstephan and other large breweries. In saying all this, there seems to be a preference on this website for the beers of Munich, which are highly industrialised, compared to small family artisinal breweries, say in Franconia.

I will say this. I had beers the other day from a brewery with a brand new custom design Kaspar Schulz brewhouse. They are very bright in all departments. Would Schulz be using low O2 technologies in their designs?

Thoughts?
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:28 pm

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 am

Many still have the Lautergrants on display (because they are pretty) but they are no longer in use (they are bypassed below).

Every sensible German manufacturer is fully aware of the impact of O2 during the process. KS is not the exception. In fact, they have a superb boiling system (Schoko boiller) which uses evaporation under vacuum to reduce the overall boil time to 30 minutes.

I did the experiment and did a brew according to conventional home brew dogma and one using intert methods and side-by side the result was quite clear.

So, when in doubt, it's best to verify for oneself and make ones own conclusions going forward. Everyone will eventually settle for what suits them best.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com