LODO Mini-Mashing

Infusion, Decoction, Step, etc

Moderator: Brandon

Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Re: LODO Mini-Mashing

Postby Big Monk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:30 pm

I was already on board. This was just confirmation for me.

I've left the Hido stuff in the rear view. I just can't see going back now.
Check us out at lowoxygenbrewing.com
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 pm

Big Monk wrote:Just finished up my first mini-mash. I'm floored.

I whipped up a quick Belgian DSA mini grain bill:

91% Weyermann Pils
5% Dingemans Cara45
3% Dingemans Special B
1% Weyermann SauerMalz

I used Campden tabs and targeted 5.45 pH. I used a generic water profile of 40 Ca, 0 Mg, 40 Na, 75 SO4, 67 Cl, and 40 HCO3.

I'm sold. I've started accumulating the equipment for my automated 1.2 gallon system.

EDIT: While I have a second hand grain mill in the works, I was forced to use grain crushed at the LHBS about 12 minutes from my home. The difference in taste of the wort was still incredibly apparent.

That grain bill is like the poster child for LODO brewing. :) I've been brewing a lot of Pilsners with similar kinds of combinations and the malts pop out like crazy. Very clean and smooth flavors though.

Do you have any qualitative thoughts about the results? Cheers!
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

LODO Mini-Mashing

Postby Big Monk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 pm

The wort from the untreated control jar tasted good. Typical of what I'm used to. A little cloying.

The lodo jar was like hitting a "more" button in all aspects. It was different than any other wort I've tasted. A very distinct cereal note from the Pilsner. So fresh. I got some (very slight in those small amounts) of the flavors typical of darker syrups from the CaraMunich and the Special B: fig, raisin, etc.

I'm excited to increase both the CaraMunich and Special B for a full batch and use just table sugar.

Once I get my system together I'm going to try the Helles first and then a Tripel. I just picked up my new kettles (12 qt. MLT and BK, 8 qt. kettle fermentor), received my Waring Pro SB30 burner and ordered the Auber EZ-boil controller. I can't wait to start assembling everything. Inaugural brew date using Lodo should be sometime in late August/early September. More mini mashes to follow in the mean time.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am

91% Weyermann Pils
5% Dingemans Cara45
3% Dingemans Special B
1% Weyermann SauerMalz

I'm sold. I've started accumulating the equipment for my automated 1.2 gallon system.

It's pretty impressive, isn't. The mini-mash is a great way to re-learn all of the malts lodo. You'll have to start compensating in your recipe for color loss once you get your system really tight. I've made all the Belgian styles lodo so far and they have turned out amazing. I highly recommend dialing back the dosage to 50-75 mg/l once you know your system and are consistent. A little sulfur in lagers is delicious, but it doesn't quite sit right in ales.
- The best do the basics better -
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:30 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:

91% Weyermann Pils
5% Dingemans Cara45
3% Dingemans Special B
1% Weyermann SauerMalz

It's pretty impressive, isn't. The mini-mash is a great way to re-learn all of the malts lodo. You'll have to start compensating in your recipe for color loss once you get your system really tight. I've made all the Belgian styles lodo so far and they have turned out amazing. I highly recommend dialing back the dosage to 50-75 mg/l once you know your system and are consistent. A little sulfur in lagers is delicious, but it doesn't quite sit right in ales.

I want to experiment with a more malt-centric version of the classic Trappist categories and use either Turbinado or plain table sugar in lieu of syrups for a little while. It seems logical to me that the flavors typically attributed to darker syrups can now be had with varying proportions of Belgian or German dark Crystal malts.

Im going to start by brewing the Helles a few times before branching out.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:32 am

Big Monk wrote:Im going to start by brewing the Helles a few times before branching out.

Good call...I should have done more of this. I have had way too many variables (read: changing grain bills) moving around while dialing in my system.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:41 am

Big Monk wrote:I want to experiment with a more malt-centric version of the classic Trappist categories and use either Turbinado or plain table sugar in lieu of syrups for a little while. It seems logical to me that the flavors typically attributed to darker syrups can now be had with varying proportions of Belgian or German dark Crystal malts.

That's what I've always done. I never cared for expensive candy sugars, but I do tinker with them from time to time. I generally just layer base malts and use plain sugar. It was validating to see that Gordon does the same thing (Modern Homebrew Recipes). I usually just buy a 25 lb bag and keep it in a food grade bucket with a gamma lid.

Big Monk wrote:I'm going to start by brewing the Helles a few times before branching out.

It is time well spent gaining knowledge and invaluable experience for understanding lodo flavors.
- The best do the basics better -
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:52 am

I've always had trouble sourcing CSI syrups locally and would love to get my sugar at the grocery store from now on!
dilluh98

Postby dilluh98 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:31 pm

http://imgur.com/a/j6IRX

Quite obvious from the picture which one has been abused by oxygen. The taste is night and day, . The dark sample tastes like sugar water that's been sitting out for a while. The light sample has honey notes to it. My wife said it tasted "a lot more dynamic - there's more than one thing going on in that one" compared to the oxygenated sample.