German Brewing

Re: Burnt match smell

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:56 pm

- The best do the basics better -
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:09 pm

So I wonder if the sulfer notes after transferring are from yeast stress from being removed from the cake. I know wine yeast will do this if pressed to early. (May have something to do with o2 exposure as well)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ajk

Postby ajk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:50 am

If you've removed copper from your system as part of the lodo technique, that could be the cause of increased SO₂. I brewed a Weissbier once that ended up with excessive SO₂. I treated it by dunking a short length of copper pipe in it. It worked—the burnt match character was gone.

What I've been struggling more with lately is H₂S, an egg-like, sometimes even rubbery note. It affects my Weissbiers mainly, and although it dissipates after a few weeks, I'd really like to be able to drink those beers sooner. I've tried different fermentation schedules—next time I'll try underoxygenating.
indevrede

Postby indevrede » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 am

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:04 am

- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:01 am

Me too I noticed an unpleasant side-effect of using SMB in Wheat beers. I am not qualified, nor have the means to explain this, but it could well be that although it works well with lagers, it may not be such a good idea with wheat beers.

I do think however, that degassed water at dough in is a must, even with wheat beers. So I'd suggest an SMB addition only to neutralise the remaining oxygen.

If you are performing a closed fermentation, then a blow-off tube or regular venting may be good options too.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com