Stirring at dough-in and prior to lautering

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Brew4Fun

Re: Stirring at dough-in and prior to lautering

Postby Brew4Fun » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Using the above method, I've come up with:
23.6-23.7 Brix (converted values are: 1.097-1.098 SG Beersmith; 1.095-1.096 SG SeanTerrill)

I've generally found the Beersmith refractometer tool to be more accurate for me, then again I've never brewed a beer at this gravity so we'll see how it pans out after a hydro sample is tested.

I'll check with the hydrometer once the sample cools and settles, but from this first check with refract it would seem to be pretty on-target for what I'd expect from good base malt and full conversion. Which leaves me to surmise that I "screwed the pooch" on my aforementioned batch. Most likely in sparging, but perhaps in converting (or both).

This has been a fun test to both play with low O2 (SMB was used with preboil water) in a jar, and to test/check a new-to-me malt. The first aroma that I got from the jar after mashout was distinctly of alfalfa honey; taste was very sweet (1.095 sweet :D), clean, no lingering off flavors, middle-of-the-road US 2row flavor (i.e. light grain quality, not much of any higher kiln characteristics, subtle).

Edit: 1.090 SG on hydrometer, but registers at 22.0B on hydrometer which should be 1.092. Strange difference in the gravity readings, but at least confirms that the base malt is not devoid of diastatic power or potential extract.