SMB Dose for NO Sparge

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Feurhund

SMB Dose for NO Sparge

Postby Feurhund » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Sorry if this was answered but couldn't find a specific one in my search.

If I am doing No Sparge, should I treat that total volume with a mash dose, or something less.

And what rate would you recommend using. I am preparing for my first LODO, a weizen and plan to boil, treat and under let the whole volume, about 14 gallons into the mash tun.

Thank your the time and input
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Re: SMB Dose for NO Sparge

Postby Brody » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:32 pm

No sparge is what they recommended - 100ppm is the dosage. Breaks out to 0.38grams per gallon of strike water. So 5.3grams in your case.
Feurhund

Postby Feurhund » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Thank you for the guidance and I will be sure to report back my experience
bensonledbetter

Postby bensonledbetter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:32 pm

I know this thread is kind of old, but I wanted to chime in to clarify for people who find this post in the future. 100 mg/l is not the recommended dosage for no sparge. 100 mg/l is the recommended dosage for mash water and 10-15 mg/l for sparge water.

To date, I have heard that no sparge brewers have been using in the range of 40 to 70 mg/l.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:55 pm

It's the same dosage regardless. A no sparge Brewer is just a mash water only Brewer.

The dosage doesn't change with that distinction.

i.e. A no sparge Brewer would treat his whole mash volume with a specific mg/l dose.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:43 pm

What ultimately matters is

1) you have enough SMB in the wort during hot side processing to protect it from any oxygen which gets in

And

2) you don't have excessive sulfite leftover post-boil

It really is a system specific thing because every system is going to have a different amount of oxygen uptake.

I would personally use 50-60 mg/l for no sparge. With that dosage, I tend to have less than 20 ppm sulfite left over after chilling.

I have heard some testimonials from people doing no sparge ales with 100 mg/l and having sulfur problems in the finished beer. Ale yeasts seem to be less tolerant than lager yeast of excess sulfite.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:05 pm

It is totally process dependent indeed.

Personally I try to use as little as possible but with a small margin of error.

When you sparge there is a lot of potential oxygen intake by scooping things about. But some people don't, some people do. It's quite individual. I found that excess sulphur will eventually clear out, even with high sulphur producing yeasts such as 838. We are looking at 8 weeks conditioning here.

One thing that needs to be mentioned over and over again. With lagers, don't panic! Really, give it enough time to finish the job. I would not call a batch lost unless it's at least 8 weeks in secondary.

Your mileage may vary.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:38 am

I've cut my dose in half when making hefe. Any residual sulfur really sticks out otherwise.

If you are pre-boiling, underletting, using a mash cap, etc., then I would definitely start at 50 mg/l for a no-sparge batch. If you haven't adapted much of your system, then I would stick to 100 mg/l.
- The best do the basics better -
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:28 pm

For those that have gone to 50ppm, is there any sulfur left at packaging?
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 pm

It completely depends on your system. If, for example, you are not using caps for your mash/lauter, then you probably will have minimal sulfur left post-boil. If you have close to zero total O2 ingress during the entire hot side processing, then you will still have some sulfite left post-boil with 50 mg/l SMB.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.