Oxygen and Mashing (Immaculate Brewery blog)

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Oxygen and Mashing (Immaculate Brewery blog)

Postby Bryan R » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:43 pm

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:56 pm

Back to Matt's comment, I did not mean to sound dismissive (apologies if I did); but to state that if one wishes to criticize LODO, one must challenge Künze (for example) and not the paper. In other words, please tell us which one of the guidelines in the book is incorrect in your view.
Another approach wiuld be to challenge SMB as a method to minimize the redox reactions with the malt in the mash, but this was not the case either.
I am certain the chemistry is sound, but some of the suggestions can lead the reader in the wrong direction if they want to test the LODO hypothesis.
Cheers,
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Oxygen and Mashing (Immaculate Brewery blog)

Postby Big Monk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:06 pm

If you're like me, the light went on when you stopped harping on the whos, whats, wheres, whys and hows. The results of my initial mini mash were indisputable and at the end of the day, like the fellas here have said, nobody has a gun to anyone's head.

I'm an electrical engineer, formally trained, private technical school and all so I enjoy the technical aspects of anything I'm interested in but ultimately I've spent too much time over the last two years pontificating on beer related subjects instead of just brewing with the best methods to produce the best beer.

The time for me is now.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
missiletech

Postby missiletech » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:05 am

I will admit, I started using campden (KMB) to clean chloramine and never knew it wasn't the removal of present(or not present) chorine/chloramine that was improving the malt flavors... it was the O2 scrubbing/removal.

The first one it shined through on was my 2nd or 3rd A.G. recipe. I transferred to secondary and it was the 2nd time I used my homemade Burton union ( meaning I had a full 6 gallon carboy I tried to transfer in to a 5 gallon carboy. I took the remaining amount I didn't have room to drink and filled a growler that lightly carbonated. It was magically malty. It was a red that tasted like Silvercity's Fat Scottish Ale when I got some from their bright tank on a tour.

Then I bottled.... it carbonated... not the same beer. More hoppy (bitter) and less malty. That's actually how I started to become more and more interested in modifying the process to maintain that roasted grain cereal taste in the beer.

Cheers!

SteVe
missiletech

Postby missiletech » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:05 am

Also, I've stopped using the potassium since increasing my dosage for the low o2... I did read that.