ferulic acid rest in lodo for Hefeweizen ?

Infusion, Decoction, Step, etc

Moderator: Brandon

Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Re: ferulic acid rest in lodo for Hefeweizen ?

Postby Nick_D » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:29 am

Weizenberg wrote:I'd sacrifice the mash-out. Prolong the 72C rest to last 40 minutes then. It'll work nicely mate.

For wheat beers direct heated or recirculation systems are better suited. I'd stay clear of the maltase mash right now.

I'd stick to method 1 right now! ...used to make loads of nice wheat beers on a small system using this method.

Brilliant ! Dann werde ich es tun. I look forward to trying the more complicated split grain maltase method in the future also. I am planning on building an epic 'no oxygen' (or proper as you might say :D) set up in the future, when funds become available, so this will be possible! Alternatively, I thought of purging my entire house with CO2, and wearing a scuba tank for breathing air while I brew.... ultimate lodo :twisted:

Thanks again.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Well, the maltase mash isn't that necessary. I like it de-facto but you can do a lot in wheat beer fermentation to influence flavour as well.

Cropping the yeast also has a big influence.

Top-crop for more banana flavour

Bottom harvest for more clove

Interesting, isn't it?
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:56 am

I'm quite happy with the ferric acid rest. I've tried the sugar trick during the maltase rest, but I'm not sure it can cleave sucrose, just maltose.
- The best do the basics better -