Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Beersk

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby Beersk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Bryan R wrote:There is a nice benefit, slowly making your way though the enzymes, but its not the sole reason for step mashing. The other thing is no one rests at the step long enough to take full benefit. For some reason everyone has 60 minutes mashes so ingrained in them they always try to accomplish step mashes in that time frame as well. If a "normal" mash is conducted at 60 minutes, I don't know how one could conduct 2 mini mashes for 30 minutes and expect some mind blowing result(more commonly is more detrimental). Couple that with the hot water infusions, and indeed... Why bother, you accomplished none of the goals of a step mash. However, good luck with telling people they are doing their brewing wrong ;)

So you think infusion won't get one what they need, it absolutely has to direct heat step mashed?
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:09 pm

No, I wouldn't say that. but you won't be at full potential.
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Bryan R wrote:No, I wouldn't say that. but you won't be at full potential.

Gotcha. I certainly don't have the capability for a HERMS or RIMS at the moment, so infusions are all I have to work with.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Never underestimate a direct heat in the boil kettle and lauter in the mash tun ;)
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Bryan R wrote:Never underestimate a direct heat in the boil kettle and lauter in the mash tun ;)

On an electric stove...I don't think so.
RPIScotty

Postby RPIScotty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Beersk wrote:
Bryan R wrote:Never underestimate a direct heat in the boil kettle and lauter in the mash tun ;)

Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:37 pm

If you can boil on the stove, you can step mash on the stove. 1c/min is a piece of cake.

I don't have HERMS/RIMS either, in fact, I'm still using a cooler mash tun. I've done a couple direct fired mashes in the kettle, but I prefer decoction. Different strokes
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Direct fire mash tun + direct fire decoction kettle - then I transfer to the lauter tun.
Beersk

Postby Beersk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:44 am

RPIScotty wrote:
Beersk wrote:

Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to get the heat even, denatures enzymes with hot spots, etc. I had issues with this when I tried brew in a bag a while back while keeping the heat on really low.
Maybe I'll try it on my next helles, for kicks. Just have to have the heat SUPER low and bring the temp up SUPER gradually with constant stirring.
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Kit_B » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:13 am

Super low & gradual is the key.
You're not going to achieve 1*C/min without going low & gradual.