Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

RPIScotty

Postby RPIScotty » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Typically the high gravity Trappist beers I enjoy (Westmalle, Rochefort, Chimay, etc.) have a high degree of attenuation.

Even at the homebrewing level there is a fair amount of attenuation with these styles due to the use of 10-20% sugar and syrup.

Obviously it's well known that most if not all of the monastery breweries step mash. I've experimented with step mashing on a BDSA with good results.

What are some of the benefits of step mashing these styles? Does the presence of such high amounts of 100% ferment able sugars and syrups offset some of the step mashing effects? In particular I'm interested in doing a 2 step German style step mash on a Dubbel I have coming up that will give around 12% syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:46 am

If you dig into the academic brewing texts, you'll find the Germans and Belgians (and to some extent French/Italian) shared a lot when it comes to brewing. Their beers are world class for a reason. Same with Ommegang here in the USA. If you take their tour, then pay attention when you pass the control panel for the mash tun. All of their beers are step mashed.

I would say the exact opposite of what you questioned. The step mash, when done properly, will (help) offset the negative effects of using too much sugar.
- The best do the basics better -
RPIScotty

Postby RPIScotty » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:18 am

So the step mash will likely add some body and foam stability back into these types of beers when > 10% sugar/syrup is used? Essentially you get the best of both worlds: dry, "digestible", well attenuated from the sugar/syrup and good body and foam stability from the step mash.

The writing was all over the wall so to speak after reading BLAM. Every continental Brewer in there is step mashing. Ommegang is no exception. Obviously what I'm looking for is people with more tangible experience like you guys to give me insights like you just did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:38 am

Stan is an artist by trade. Technical content is not his forte, but he gives you enough to start looking in the right direction.

Look into glycoproteins and mashing. Kai summarizes it well.
RPIScotty

Postby RPIScotty » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:45 am

RPIScotty

Postby RPIScotty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:23 am

I'm thinking of trying 133, 146 and 158 on the Dubbel I'm planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:53 am

The protein rest is dictated by the malt analysis. I tend to dough in at 58-60C then start heating immediately, but most times it isn't necessary. 62/72/75C makes a nice beer.
RPIScotty

Postby RPIScotty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:40 pm

I'll be using mostly Dingemans malts. I'll check during my next purchase for the lot numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:36 pm