Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

User avatar
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing
Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:11 pm

- The best do the basics better -
RPIScotty

Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby RPIScotty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Ancient Abbey wrote:


I guess sometimes, when your technically inclined, you need to trust your instincts.

Now the million dollar (or maybe one dollar dunski question): how does one manage this with an infusion mash? I typically use the basic Palmer thermo equation for boiling water infusions. How do I control my rate of rise in T using infusions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by RPIScotty on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby Bryan R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:17 pm

There is a nice benefit, slowly making your way though the enzymes, but its not the sole reason for step mashing. The other thing is no one rests at the step long enough to take full benefit. For some reason everyone has 60 minutes mashes so ingrained in them they always try to accomplish step mashes in that time frame as well. If a "normal" mash is conducted at 60 minutes, I don't know how one could conduct 2 mini mashes for 30 minutes and expect some mind blowing result(more commonly is more detrimental). Couple that with the hot water infusions, and indeed... Why bother, you accomplished none of the goals of a step mash. However, good luck with telling people they are doing their brewing wrong ;)
RPIScotty

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby RPIScotty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Bryan R wrote:There is a nice benefit, slowly making your way though the enzymes, but its not the sole reason for step mashing. The other thing is no one rests at the step long enough to take full benefit. For some reason everyone has 60 minutes mashes so ingrained in them they always try to accomplish step mashes in that time frame as well. If a "normal" mash is conducted at 60 minutes, I don't know how one could conduct 2 mini mashes for 30 minutes and expect some mind blowing result(more commonly is more detrimental). Couple that with the hot water infusions, and indeed... Why bother, you accomplished none of the goals of a step mash. However, good luck with telling people they are doing their brewing wrong ;)


See my above post. Any recommendations for controlling the 1C/min with infusions in a cooler mash tun?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby Bryan R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Direct heat, HERMS, RIMS are really your only options for the proper step ramps.
RPIScotty

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby RPIScotty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Bryan R wrote:Direct heat, HERMS, RIMS are really your only options for the proper step ramps.


Well, there is always another pot to mash in...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RPIScotty

Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby RPIScotty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:33 pm

RPIScotty wrote:
Bryan R wrote:Direct heat, HERMS, RIMS are really your only options for the proper step ramps.


Well, there is always another pot to mash in...

Or I could mash in my BK and use my cooler MLT to lauter.
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby Bryan R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Now, you're talking.
RPIScotty

Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby RPIScotty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Bryan R wrote:Now, you're talking.


I want to go on record as saying I may have had you pegged wrong Bryan.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Step Mashing High Gravity Trappist beers

Postby Bryan R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Well I don't have the patience nor the crayons to explain this stuff to some people. None of them want to do any thinking for themselves, they just want x+x=y and it doesn't work that way. I just want to have logical, brain using discussions. I have 3 kids, I can go play patty-cake with them.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest