Mash parameters effecting attenuation

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Re: Mash parameters effecting attenuation

Postby Bilsch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I underlet, stir once gently, float the mash cap then start the pump. Now that I'm milling with a wider gap I don't have compacted grain bed troubles anymore.
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Mash parameters effecting attenuation

Postby Smellyglove » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:57 am

Ok. If it works then it works. Just saying this if you're noticing a drop in efficiency with the new crush, and would rather stay at the old efficiency:

I bet you could tighten the gap of your mill if you stir enough to dissolve any dough-balls, and just let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The temperature should be uniform after doing this. This way the grainbed can naturally form, by gravity, without any suction working on it, and some of that flour will gelatinize and convert, then start you pump with the recommended flow for your setup.

I have not seen a difference in extraction efficiency when stirring or not stirring in my recirculated setup (did some tests). But I have to do a pump shutoff every time I stir, which I don't anymore because it didn't help in any way.

I always started my pump right after dough in before, and even at low flow, I'd run into problems now and then, I thought it was the milling, but after a whole lot of trial and error I just read the "instructions" from Blichmann, and noticed it said something like "let the grain bed sit before starting pump. It worked like a champ.