Mash Ph

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: RE: Re: Mash Ph

Postby Natebriscoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Bryan R wrote:
Natebriscoe wrote:Was listening to a probrewer podcast today on malting. Where it was stated that if the malt kilning reaches 180f, lox is denatured and no longer an issue. I would bet a lot of malts we use reaches 180f.
Maybe, the 5.2 ph may not be necessary for lox reasons.

Yea basically Munich and up.

I was pretty sure about the darker base malts, but didn't know if that type of info was published by the maltster. Kind of makes one wonder about the more flavorful pale malts the big guys are using. Maybe they up the temp just a bit and get a more flavorful pale malt and take care of lox.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: RE: Re: Mash Ph

Postby Bryan R » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Natebriscoe wrote:
Bryan R wrote:
Natebriscoe wrote:Was listening to a probrewer podcast today on malting. Where it was stated that if the malt kilning reaches 180f, lox is denatured and no longer an issue. I would bet a lot of malts we use reaches 180f.
Maybe, the 5.2 ph may not be necessary for lox reasons.

Yea basically Munich and up.

I was pretty sure about the darker base malts, but didn't know if that type of info was published by the maltster. Kind of makes one wonder about the more flavorful pale malts the big guys are using. Maybe they up the temp just a bit and get a more flavorful pale malt and take care of lox.

I must have been editing when you quoted.. I went back and checked Kunze, and its Vienna and up.

Maybe, but a beer kilned to even the lightest of the Vienna spectrum is going to be different and possibly to dark.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Mash Ph

Postby Ancient Abbey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Natebriscoe wrote: Kind of makes one wonder about the more flavorful pale malts the big guys are using. Maybe they up the temp just a bit and get a more flavorful pale malt and take care of lox.

It also depends on what you are calling pale malt. Pale ale malt (and most English pale malt) is kilned after it is dry, not wet like Vienna and Munich, so the enzymes should be more heat stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Re: Mash Ph

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Ideed. Abbey nails it again.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: RE: Mash Ph

Postby Natebriscoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Ancient Abbey wrote:
Natebriscoe wrote: Kind of makes one wonder about the more flavorful pale malts the big guys are using. Maybe they up the temp just a bit and get a more flavorful pale malt and take care of lox.

It also depends on what you are calling pale malt. Pale ale malt (and most English pale malt) is kilned after it is dry, not wet like Vienna and Munich, so the enzymes should be more heat stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On this note, there are surely many ways to malt a pale malt. Say one takes a pilsner and kilns at the normal temp (150-160f not sure about this) to a lower moisture and then ups to 180f for a short time. I would think the lower moisture slow the melanoiden reactions at the higher temp. Just a thought, I am no maltster.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 am

There's a whole range of pale malts, and variation between kilnings for the same style of malt. The main distinction is whether it is high kilned or low kilned. From there, you are correct, the time, temperature and moisture profile on high kilned malts is up to the maltster.
- The best do the basics better -
lcoentrao

Postby lcoentrao » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Brew Your Own, October 2017

image.jpg
image.jpg (650.15 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Last edited by lcoentrao on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lcoentrao

Postby lcoentrao » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 pm

I usually measured mash pH at room temperature...