Floating Recirculation Return

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

Breckenridge

Floating Recirculation Return

Postby Breckenridge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 am

Morning, all. First post, just recently exposed to the lodo approach, and have a question about applying it to my current set-up.

I currently brew on a Blichmann Top Tier (3 burners, Tower of Power direct fire rims control, constant recirculation). My MLT is a gen 1 Boilermaker with their false bottom and Auto-Sparge.

The question is this: Does the recirculation from the auto-sparge return introduce too much air in the mash? It seems gentle, sits right at the surface, which certainly introduces less air than a sprinkler style sparge arm, but possibly more so (?) than loc-line at a fixed position below the surface.

My thought would be that I could introduce a mash cap (seems like the done thing anyway), so the float return line would be held under and the ballcock of the auto-sparge would be above.

Do any of you have a similar set up? Any DO readings that say the auto-sparge is unsuited for lodo mash recirculation?
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Floating Recirculation Return

Postby lupulus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:58 am

I am confused by an apparent inconsistency in your description. You do not need an autosparge to recirculate as in a close loop, flow out equals flow in. Can you clarify? :-)
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Breckenridge

Postby Breckenridge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:21 pm

AutoSparge(TM) is the commercial name of the product (). The auto-sparging feature it's named for is not necessary during recirculation, no. However, the AutoSparge(TM) is the route of recirculation.

Sorry for the confusion.

The linked page has a photo of the item in use, showing the level at which recirculation is returned.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm

You do not need the auto sparge float to recirculate. Take it out and then copy one of the systems in the site.
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi!

Recirculation systems really are the best solution for home-brewers. After 7 years of decoctions under my belt, you can rest assured that I didn't come to this conclusion lightly.

Now, you want to have some sort of water inlet below the water level of your mash tun. A simple valve would do but your problem is now distribution. You really want it reasonably uniform. The "" comes to my mind here. That's an excellent solution for what you are looking for. Just make sure nothing ever splashes!

Hope this helps. I'm happy to provide further input if needed.

Best
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Breckenridge

Postby Breckenridge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks! So Loc-line it is.

Now, it looks like no sparge is the preferred method for most brewers here, but has anyone gotten good results with fly sparging?
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:31 am

I fly sparge.
- The best do the basics better -