Sparging Sequencing

Wort making

Moderator: Brandon

pietro

Sparging Sequencing

Postby pietro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:51 am

This is likely an elementary question, though something I feel we may have been overlooking for some time.

For our 1/2 bbl setup, we have a 3-vessel pump driven HERMS, with a coil in the HLT where we recirc the mash, and then a fly sparge arm that attaches to the top of the MT via tri-clover clamps.

My question relates to our sparge. Typically, we will start a recirc with around 30 minutes left in our mash (oddly, we don't lose a lot of heat either when stepping or doing single-infusions). Then we will start the sparge, many times BEFORE we begin the lauter into the kettle. Can this result in leaving behind the 'meaty' first runnings of the mash because we are diluting with the sparge water? We have always gotten good efficiency and hit our numbers pretty well, but I just wanted to see how others (who do sparge) view this method and any possible faults in it.

Thanks in advance!
Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: Sparging Sequencing

Postby Bryan R » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:12 am

I highly doubt in in a fly sparge, since you are continuously rinsing the grain with water.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
pietro

Re: Sparging Sequencing

Postby pietro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:02 pm

So basically, in general terms, fly sparging creates a stratification of the mash , where the stuff down by the grain bed/filter will be the 'meat' and as it drains, the sparge water will make its way downward?