Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

narcout

Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II

Postby narcout » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:32 pm

If anyone here has tried this yeast, what were your impressions and what sort of apparent attenuation did you see?
Beersk

Re: Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II

Postby Beersk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:01 pm

I plan to use this soon. Am also curious.
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:44 pm

I didn't care for it. It has a very slight background sharp flavor, and aside from that isn't too different from something like 833, except I found it to ferment more slowly than 833. Attenuation will be about the same as any other German lager yeast - it finished 0.5 Plato above the fermentability limit for me.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Why bother using a strain that won't be available all year round?

One can achieve excellent results with stock yeasts provided one has a good grasp of lager fermentation and conditioning. Preconditions are the ability to control temperature as well as measuring dissolved oxygen in order to provide an adequate level of o2. You cannot estimate it, if you are serious about it a DO meter will become an invaluable tool.

If you cannot guarantee a consistent supply of oxygen, then dry yeast is preferable since it works much better in poorly aerated wort. Strains like W34/70 are widely available dry.

Hope this helps
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 am

I am in the same boat, I don't get too hyped up on seasonal yeasts.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
narcout

Postby narcout » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:03 pm

I have temperature control and oxygen. I do not yet have a DO meter, though you all have piqued my interest.