Dry yeast

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Techbrau
German Brewing

Re: Dry yeast

Postby Techbrau » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:45 pm

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 am

Thinking of using the Mangrove Jack's M76 (Bavarian) or M84 (Bohemian) dry yeast. Anyone tried them?
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:02 am

Also, mead makers often use Goferm for hydrating yeast, to accellerate the process. I wonder if is useful in beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 am

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Cold fermentation always yields the highest quality results. Not matter whether pro equipment or homebrew equipment is used.

For enthusiasts it is not beyond reach to master. That's why I was so adamant for people to try it --- a few years back when we put all this together. Ask Bryan R what he thought of cold fermentation before I suggested it. I literally had to twist his arm to try it :P

Anecdotes apart, the downsides of cold fermentation is that there are some stumbling blocks. We don't know all causes and remedies here, but you will certaininly find an interested listener in your quest to perfect cold fermentation with the likes of Abbery, Techbrau and myself.

Now to your question:

Higher gravity beers will take even higher amounts of yeast to pitch, and a much more carefully conducted fermentation schedule (point of secondary transfer, residue yeast, residue extract, initial oxygen content and available nutrients). Generally speaking, getting great results at those strengths doing cold fermentation requires quite a bit of experience in the normal strength (~12 plato) region first.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com