Dry yeast

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Techbrau
German Brewing

Re: Dry yeast

Postby Techbrau » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:45 pm

pietro wrote:If there is actual usage of 5.2 stabilizer, that in my mind is more damaging to credibility than quoting Mr. Conn!

So Bryan may kick me off the board for saying this, but I am likely somewhere between Denny and Bryan and the other purists on here.

If I had come upon this in my brewing infancy, I probably would be all-in like many of you, but the reality is "as easily as possible" and "as quickly as possible" (both without REALLY NOTICABLY impacting beer quality) are both present in my brewing mission statement with a 19-month old at home, and a relatively unmedicated golf addiction.

I think Denny does a lot of things for a lot of homebrewers, but I do think the dogmatic "its the way I like it" or "I can't tell a difference" that ends some dialogues can be a little insufficient for me. Though of course that goes the other way too (ahemBRYANahem :mrgreen: )

Looks like we may not be brewing this weekend anyway, so it may make sense for me to do a starter batch on the pilot system so I can use some 2nd-gen 2206 for the 1/2 bbl helles.

None of us here are interested in wasting time doing things that don't improve the beer, so we're in full agreement in that respect. Case in point, I've sworn off decoction mashing.

That said, if brewing Denny-style made acceptable Bavarian lager, this site wouldn't exist :)
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 am

Thinking of using the Mangrove Jack's M76 (Bavarian) or M84 (Bohemian) dry yeast. Anyone tried them?
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:02 am

Also, mead makers often use Goferm for hydrating yeast, to accellerate the process. I wonder if is useful in beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:
pietro wrote:I have heard great things about S-189...

If I don't have yeast ready, then I don't brew. It's that important. That said, if using a highly flocculant lager strain (which most popular dry strains are), the yeast often do not want to continue to ferment and clean up as the temperature is dropped to cold lagering. Transferring to spunden can cause them to flocc early as well. I found these yeast performed best with the temp slightly warmed at the end of fermentation, and lagering had to wait until the yeast were completely done. Clearly, this is not an ideal german fermentation profile. If you want a traditional lager fermentation, then use something with moderate to mod-low flocculation characteristics, preferably a bavarian strain. These tend to be very cold tolerant and continue to chew down sugars and diacetyl when you drop the temperature and spunden.

Back on topic, more or less at least.

I did a doppelbock where I fermented at 8C, and at 1.030 I transfered to corny (in a closed loop) and spunded while dropping the temp down to 4C over the course of about a week (or so). It stopped at 1.026. I have never cold fermented before, or brewed a doppelbock, but I hoped It would drop about two points more, OG was 1.080, I used 3 packs rehydrated for a 14L batch.

Is there another WL-strain (I have access to WL "only"), I could use instead? I noticed the fermentation came to a halt pretty fast after spunding.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Cold fermentation always yields the highest quality results. Not matter whether pro equipment or homebrew equipment is used.

For enthusiasts it is not beyond reach to master. That's why I was so adamant for people to try it --- a few years back when we put all this together. Ask Bryan R what he thought of cold fermentation before I suggested it. I literally had to twist his arm to try it :P

Anecdotes apart, the downsides of cold fermentation is that there are some stumbling blocks. We don't know all causes and remedies here, but you will certaininly find an interested listener in your quest to perfect cold fermentation with the likes of Abbery, Techbrau and myself.

Now to your question:

Higher gravity beers will take even higher amounts of yeast to pitch, and a much more carefully conducted fermentation schedule (point of secondary transfer, residue yeast, residue extract, initial oxygen content and available nutrients). Generally speaking, getting great results at those strengths doing cold fermentation requires quite a bit of experience in the normal strength (~12 plato) region first.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com