Bavarian Cold Fermentation

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: Bavarian Cold Fermentation

Postby Owenbräu » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

I'd second the mash profile. It is possible to step up too quickly and denature enzymes.
- The best do the basics better -
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Wed May 24, 2017 10:11 am

Hmm. What can be done with the mash schedule? I use a Herms which bumps temp in the mash with about 1.25C/min. I don't ever overshoot the herms to get quicker temp-raises, as I don't want to expose the enzymes to to much heat. The enzymes never see a higher temperature than the set-temp.

Im running one pack of yeast on a stir plate, I don't have a microscope so I target (with a yeast calculator) about 2.5-3bn cells/ml.

Don't have a DO meter either, but running a 0.5 micron stone for about 90-120 seconds at about 0.5L/min.

They have both been fermenting at a stable 9C (temp controlled fridge) since 12th of may.

I'm not having any troubles wih ale yeasts, so I guess maybe it's a fermentation/yeast issue.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am

The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed May 24, 2017 4:51 pm

- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Abbey nails fermentation regularly. I'd heed his advice any day ;)

What I didn't mention is that I propagate in 3 steps -- that may well have a substantially different effect on the vitality of the yeast. Mine goes pretty fast after pitch. That 50/50 suggestion is indeed something worth trying befor yous splash out on a DO meter. In my case, the DO meter made a huge difference when I got it about 4-5 years ago. But that's specific to me and my process. Your mileage may vary.
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

I gotta wonder if your fridge is colder than you think it is. Have you verified that your temp controller probe is calibrated? If you're actually fermenting at say 7c, I can see your yeast stalling at 1.018.

For what it's worth, nowadays I pitch at 7-8c, ferment at 9c, and let rise to 12c when I rack to spund. Primary takes about 6 days, spunding another 4-5, then I drop to 2.5c to clear it. Ready to drink at about 20-25 days old.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Wed May 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Ah, see, this is where we still differ. With calibrated thermometer (they are calibrated every year), pitch 5, ferment 7-8, transfer 5, then it dissapears for 8 weeks. Everyone will eventually settle on their own method. A stopped fermentation at 1.018 SG would make a pretty authentic Czech brew though... for what it's worth :D
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun May 28, 2017 7:39 am

I checked the temp-probe against a thermapen and its still calibrated. I've had better luck with doing a 68c instead of a 72c, so maybe I'll just go back to that. But its weird since everybody are able to pull off the 72 step and still make it ferment to target sg.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Postby Big Monk » Sun May 28, 2017 8:20 am

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 am