Pitching Rates for a 1.048 lager, fast turn.

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Pitching Rates for a 1.048 lager, fast turn.

Postby mchrispen » Fri May 06, 2016 11:56 am

Ok - no disagreement here on the cold fermentation schedule. I still need to get this turned over quickly - so now wondering if a cream ale or a kolsch something would be a better target, finishing on time. Currently brewing a bitter for a friend's birthday party, using the LODO method (and working out kinks on the GrainFather).

RE: the yeast - I ran that trial just a couple of times - it is certainly not something I would do on a regular basis. Thanks for the link to that book.
narcout

Postby narcout » Fri May 06, 2016 1:20 pm

mchrispen wrote:A simple experiment to confirm is to run a "shaken" or mildly stirred starter side by side with a "stirred" starter, and simply smelling and tasting the supernatant - it is striking.

I didn't believe it, but I've tried it and had the same experience as you.
Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm

mchrispen wrote:Ok - no disagreement here on the cold fermentation schedule. I still need to get this turned over quickly - so now wondering if a cream ale or a kolsch something would be a better target, finishing on time. Currently brewing a bitter for a friend's birthday party, using the LODO method (and working out kinks on the GrainFather).

RE: the yeast - I ran that trial just a couple of times - it is certainly not something I would do on a regular basis. Thanks for the link to that book.

Kolsch would work. Use the Helles recipe from the paper but increase the hopping to hit 24 IBUs, maybe use 5% carahell instead of 4%, and WLP029. You could probably also shorten the alpha rest to 30 minutes, and do a 76c mashout for 10 minutes (this is the textbook Hochkurz from Kunze - Narziss is the one who recommends long alpha rests for Bavarian styles, which Kolsch isn't) Pitch 15 million cells per ml at 58 F, let it rise to 62 F. Try and spund it - you may not get full carbonation at that temperature at 0.8 bar so you may have to supplement with some forced co2 (but you still want the antioxidant benefits of spunding).
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.