My Cold Fermentation Process

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Re: My Cold Fermentation Process

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 11:33 am

mchrispen wrote:Ok. I got one device configured and running in test mode. I just cannot figure out how to connect 2 Sparks at once, or connect to them remotely over wifi. Back into the documentation.

I came across something saying wifi wasn't implemented yet. But that was a post from last year. Let me know if you get it to work, I'd like to do that also.

Did you manually install the BrewPi software as two separate instances to support multiple devices?
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Mon May 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Did you manually install the BrewPi software as two separate instances to support multiple devices?

I just found the "Running Multiple Arduinos" page that wasn't linked into the BrewPi 0.3.0 documentation. Just a little work and that whole thing would be properly hyperlinked, but I digress. So going through that procedure right now.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 5:09 pm

mchrispen wrote:

I just found the "Running Multiple Arduinos" page that wasn't linked into the BrewPi 0.3.0 documentation. Just a little work and that whole thing would be properly hyperlinked, but I digress. So going through that procedure right now.

Right...dude just needs to spend a hour or two bringing things up to the current version and making a tidy 'start here' page. But yeah, I know how that is. Things get busy.

Let me know if you run into any issues...it should be pretty straight forward once you find the pages.
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Issues everywhere. I suspect I might have done something wrong. The instructions for modifying udev assume a higher level of knowledge than I have. So the Raspberry is being completely reinstalled right now. I am going to get the /etc/udev fiasco sorted before I install BrewPi into the separate folders. Just to confirm, I will have two folders, one for each Spark Instance. At least that is how I read it.

It has been 12 years since I played with unix commands. Forgot how much I hate vi. At least I can get remote desktop and remote SSH working easy enough.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 7:03 pm

mchrispen wrote:Issues everywhere. I suspect I might have done something wrong. The instructions for modifying udev assume a higher level of knowledge than I have. So the Raspberry is being completely reinstalled right now. I am going to get the /etc/udev fiasco sorted before I install BrewPi into the separate folders. Just to confirm, I will have two folders, one for each Spark Instance. At least that is how I read it.

It has been 12 years since I played with unix commands. Forgot how much I hate vi. At least I can get remote desktop and remote SSH working easy enough.

Three things you need to do:

1) Map USB hub ports to UNIX devices and udev rules. - yeah, make sure this is right, first. All you're doing is figuring out a unique ID for each port that will map to each BrewPi device. Then creating a reference to that that the BrewPi software will use.
2) Install an instance of BrewPi for each device (and link to the devices defined in #1)
3) Install and configure a web instance of BrewPi for each device.

...well, then 4....create an HTML page that glues the instance all together into one home page. But that's purely cosmetic. Then troubleshoot permissions because I either missed something or it wasn't documented and the script couldn't write to the logs or create the config file.

I wish I could build these for people. I totally understand how it's confusing and easy to mess up. But I love UNIX and love vi. :)
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer

Postby bjanat » Mon May 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Do they have a version for dummies? I managed to wire an STC-1000+, that's my skill limit. It's programmable, but not as advanced as BrewPi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Mon May 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Just discovered editing with nano (to hell with vi)! So that went pretty easily, assuming I wrote out the rules.d file correction. Now going through the manual installation process since the script doesn't have escapes for custom script and web folders.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 pm

What's even easier is getting winscp, and opening the file and using its built in note pad, then saving it . ;)
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Bryan R wrote:What's even easier is getting winscp, and opening the file and using its built in note pad, then saving it . ;)

Oh dear god.

ssh 192.168.1.200 -l brewpi
vi /etc/udev/rules.d/99-arduino.rules
i
<paste>
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyACM*", KERNELS=="1-1.3.3.3", SYMLINK+="arduino_bottom"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyACM*", KERNELS=="1-1.3.3.4", SYMLINK+="arduino_top"
[ESC]
kk
/1.3.3.3
lllllx1 (or whatever)
[ESC]
j
/1.3.3.4
lllllx2 (or whatever)
:wq!

How hard is that? :) hahaha, no I get it. I'm just heckling Bryan because I haven't heckled him in a while.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 8:29 pm

bjanat wrote:Do they have a version for dummies? I managed to wire an STC-1000+, that's my skill limit. It's programmable, but not as advanced as BrewPi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy a prebuilt BrewPi, throw together a RaspPi, buy the probes and relays from the BrewPi store, challenge 1 is wiring it up (one side to the Brewpi, the other to wall outlets), can wire up an extension cord to a house wall outlet (in an enclosure)-same stuff you did with the STC-1000, and 2) are just making a single device BrewPi, the automatic installation in the instructions is pretty straightforward. The squirly stuff mscrispin is running into is setting up multiple Pi's on one web server.