My Cold Fermentation Process

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Bryan R
Braumeister

Re: My Cold Fermentation Process

Postby Bryan R » Wed May 18, 2016 10:32 am

Brandon wrote:
Ancient Abbey wrote:How user friendly are these? Can someone with zero background in electronics, programming and coding get one of these up and running?

I still use 'vi' (editor) on a daily basis.

Sorry, I prefer nano ;)
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Wed May 18, 2016 10:40 am

Bryan R wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Ancient Abbey wrote:How user friendly are these? Can someone with zero background in electronics, programming and coding get one of these up and running?

I still use 'vi' (editor) on a daily basis.

Sorry, I prefer nano ;)

hahaha, I figured that would be the default. That's why I mentioned it, I'm old school. :)

Ancient, what would you connect the BrewPi to? I know you have a walk-in cold room. What else do you use for fermentation/lagering? Just thinking about the configuration and how to wire it up.
doctorjames

Postby doctorjames » Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am

Of course it would be trivial to display the brewpi temperature in the modeline in Emacs, and org-mode would happily fetch the log data and draw you a graph ;)
ajk

Postby ajk » Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 pm

That time org-mode came up on the German Brewing Forum and thought I'd died and gone to nerd heaven.

I've been eyeing the BrewPi and the BCS controllers for some time now. I have a Mac Mini that would make a good little web server for it.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Wed May 18, 2016 12:56 pm

doctorjames wrote:Of course it would be trivial to display the brewpi temperature in the modeline in Emacs, and org-mode would happily fetch the log data and draw you a graph ;)

See....man, someone had to chime in about emacs. :) I knew that was coming.

Side note: How about that LaTeX formatting of the Low O2 document? Kudos to techbrau, Ancient Abbey and Weizenberg on those TeX skills.
narcout

Postby narcout » Wed May 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Brandon wrote:I suggest buying a pre-built BrewPi from http://www.brewpi.com so you don't have to mess around with wiring resistors, flashing firmware, etc.

Is this model "plug and play" or does it still require programming?

https://store.brewpi.com/featured/brewpi-spark-v2
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Wed May 18, 2016 1:02 pm

How user friendly are these? Can someone with zero background in electronics, programming and coding get one of these up and running?

As a hack, but with a background doing software and hardware vendor outreach from AMD (including the first 1 Ghz processor!), it doesn't seem that hard. If you buy the prebuilt BrewPi with the Spark arduino module, then you can control it directly. Otherwise, it has a mini-menu that lets you setup everything on the little screen. I didn't find that intuitive. I also have two freezers to control, so I bought two (waiting on the sensors and power switches), so connecting these to a third device powerful enough to run a web server, should allow me to run unique fermentation profiles between the systems.

If you can carefully follow instructions, you should be fine. Hint - powering the devices from your laptop during the first configuration and before you link power out to the SSRs should prevent smoking anything. I have a fine arts degree - and I can follow the instructions easily enough - but they are a tiny bit arcane. After building the Raspberry Pi, compared to building a real computer - this is cake!

Wait, wha??? LaTeX? Shame on you Brandon!
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Wed May 18, 2016 1:10 pm

mchrispen wrote:
How user friendly are these? Can someone with zero background in electronics, programming and coding get one of these up and running?

As a hack, but with a background doing software and hardware vendor outreach from AMD (including the first 1 Ghz processor!), it doesn't seem that hard. If you buy the prebuilt BrewPi with the Spark arduino module, then you can control it directly. Otherwise, it has a mini-menu that lets you setup everything on the little screen. I didn't find that intuitive. I also have two freezers to control, so I bought two (waiting on the sensors and power switches), so connecting these to a third device powerful enough to run a web server, should allow me to run unique fermentation profiles between the systems.

If you can carefully follow instructions, you should be fine. Hint - powering the devices from your laptop during the first configuration and before you link power out to the SSRs should prevent smoking anything. I have a fine arts degree - and I can follow the instructions easily enough - but they are a tiny bit arcane. After building the Raspberry Pi, compared to building a real computer - this is cake!

Wait, wha??? LaTeX? Shame on you Brandon!

hahaa, I was adamantly opposed to using LaTeX, wanting something we could all edit (shortsightedness on my part). Techbrau overrode and did a fantastic job.

I have only approached the BrewPi's from building a RaspPi for the web server, and building the controller from scratch (Arduino's) so don't know anything about the actual pre-built devices. I have on on order and can share more thoughts once it gets here. I have a Mac Mini that runs my home audio stuff so could use that, but eh, RPi's are cute, tiny and I can just leave it by the freezer.

I have to say, the Photon's (new BrewPi's) built in wireless is ultra convenient.
ajk

Postby ajk » Wed May 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Brandon wrote:Side note: How about that LaTeX formatting of the Low O2 document? Kudos to techbrau, Ancient Abbey and Weizenberg on those TeX skills.

It was very well done, but I'm a troff man myself. Even used it for my wedding invitations.
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Wed May 18, 2016 5:53 pm

Back in the day, I wrote postscript ppds for a Scitex high end rasterizer and imagesetter. LaTeX just sucks man! It tried, but seems like it was abandoned as soon as it was written. Gratz on figuring out that junk.

I am still a bit jittery about the Raspberry, but online with Time Warner which has decided that I am not competent to manage my own modem (and internal router -<insert obscene expletive>) - despite my 20 year history with them - and years running AMD's ISV gaming servers. It is against their "policy" now which changed in the past couple of years. Trying like heck to get a dynamic DNS link to the Raspberry - so I can show off the fermenters in public. That assumes I don't electrocute myself with the SSRs and break out box.

I need to write a download speed cron and shove the data up their ports!