Cold Fermentation method keeps failing me (stalling)

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Cold Fermentation method keeps failing me (stalling)

Postby Nick_D » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Weizenberg wrote:Oh, they are ready and beautiful!

This time I used WLP820 -- which made them a bit sweeter than with WLP838.

However, the yeast hasn't fully settled yet. So I'll probably filter one keg or will Umdruecken. I still need to get a good grasp on filtering (it's very hard actually), so it'll probably be that :)

Bear in mind that there are many other reasons than just mash which would cause the yeast to not attenuate fully.

Excellent to hear. How did it hold up vs the more rigorous/slow cold fermentation method ? I suspect you'll do a post about it. I'm jumping ahead though ;)

Ahhh filtering. I have a 0.5 micron filter that I've used on ales. I'm guessing the challenge you refer to, is keeping oxygen out. Never something I worried about before. But now I see it being very problematic.

I know. Mash P.H, oxygenation at pitching. Yeast health, nutrients etc. I'm probably murphy's law, embodied in a brewer at this point. I'll tackle the mash first and rule that out.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:31 pm

I often update old posts with new and better information once available. It's really my fancy online notebook about info I'm collecting (bar a few exceptions).

It's quite handy for me and for my friends to look up things there.

And indeed, it's about oxygen when filtering. I did a run with a keg gone wrong and measured the o2 intake at 2.3 mgl. That's enough to send the best beer to oblivion.

However, I am aware of better procedures nowadays and they make a lot of sense (mainly because for a full year I am so o2 aware now). I'll give it a go but one will only hear about it once it's done within a reasonable ballpark.

As far as your woes are concerned it depends how much time you really want to invest in it. Reading Kunze over and over certainly sheds a light on many things. Somehow all our brewing just became better us having a copy of this book.

I'd hang in there. Eventually these things just sort themselves out as one progresses and becomes more in tune with the matter.

Best
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Weizenberg wrote:I often update old posts with new and better information once available. It's really my fancy online notebook about info I'm collecting (bar a few exceptions).

It's quite handy for me and for my friends to look up things there.

And indeed, it's about oxygen when filtering. I did a run with a keg gone wrong and measured the o2 intake at 2.3 mgl. That's enough to send the best beer to oblivion.

However, I am aware of better procedures nowadays and they make a lot of sense (mainly because for a full year I am so o2 aware now). I'll give it a go but one will only hear about it once it's done within a reasonable ballpark.

As far as your woes are concerned it depends how much time you really want to invest in it. Reading Kunze over and over certainly sheds a light on many things. Somehow all our brewing just became better us having a copy of this book.

I'd hang in there. Eventually these things just sort themselves out as one progresses and becomes more in tune with the matter.

Best

Wow, 2.3 mg/l is basically 10x the accepted amount ? I've thought of the filtering issue, and figured running starsan dosed with SMB through the filter to sanitise, and scrub of oxygen. Then, leaving the lines and filter full of this solution, starting the beer filtration, allowing the first runnings from the filter to go into an alternate keg (to be discarded). Once the beer is flowing and the starsan has been pushed out, then hooking the "out" line of the filter to an appropriately sterile, and CO2 purged receiving keg. What do you think ? I realise talk of filtering at this stage is me putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

I have emailed https://www.vlb-berlin.org to eqnuire regarding shipping to Australia. The table of contents on the Kunze whetted my appetite. At this stage I'm unhealthily obsessed. So onward I go 8-)
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:57 pm

You could just run a SMB sanitizer solution. Wine makers use it to flush their filters all the time.