Pitch slightly warmer and cool to 41?

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Re: Pitch slightly warmer and cool to 41?

Postby Big Monk » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Techbrau wrote:
Obviously, brewing lagers in the NE winter is a lot easier :)

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Techbrau wrote:I've got mid 70s groundwater right now in Boston. It also gets harder to chill the bigger the batch size. I had to resort to the method I described above when I brewed this past Friday evening.

Yea batch size is a big part. Trying to chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort to the 40s with an IC, ice, and warm ground water is not easy. Small batch is quick and easy.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:53 pm

Brody wrote:
Techbrau wrote:I've got mid 70s groundwater right now in Boston. It also gets harder to chill the bigger the batch size. I had to resort to the method I described above when I brewed this past Friday evening.

Yea batch size is a big part. Trying to chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort to the 40s with an IC, ice, and warm ground water is not easy. Small batch is quick and easy.

I'm thinking picking up one of those chill wands people use for cooking could help with the final push. Ground water to under 100f, start adding the ice, then add the wand. As is now, I get it as cool as I can then transfer the wort into a keg, seal it up, purge it, and let it crash cool in my chest freezer to pitching temps. DO meter showed I wasn't picking up oxygen during the waiting time.

I'll pull a little wort off during the boil into a starter flask, cool it, and pitch so by the time I'm chilled to pitching temps the yeasts woken up a bit.
phishie

Postby phishie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 am

Brody wrote: DO meter showed I wasn't picking up oxygen during the waiting time.

This is a critically interesting statement as the previously mentioned observations/experiments ran contrary to this. If it's possible to chill to pitching temps in a freezer without picking up O2 that would be helpful to some of us who are having trouble adequately chilling down to pitching temps.
caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby caedus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:50 am

God... you are all so lucky. Here in the Sacramento Valley I have 90+ degrees ground water. I am lucky to get down to 110-120 within 20 minutes, then use 10 lbs of ice to drop to 65.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:23 am

phishie wrote:
Brody wrote: DO meter showed I wasn't picking up oxygen during the waiting time.

This is a critically interesting statement as the previously mentioned observations/experiments ran contrary to this. If it's possible to chill to pitching temps in a freezer without picking up O2 that would be helpful to some of us who are having trouble adequately chilling down to pitching temps.

Yea, I dunno. I read just under 1ppm after I transferred. Purged the keg, put it in chest freezer, checked again before oxygenating/pitching and it was still reading just under 1ppm. Guess it was some hours on (late at night). These meters don't seem to be lazer precise... but it did seem like not much got in and SMS is still there.