Spunding Valve Pressure Dropping

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

phishie

Spunding Valve Pressure Dropping

Postby phishie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 am

4 Secondary and Lagering

... After racking, attach a pressure relief valve (spundapparat, but commonly called a spunding valve) set to 0.8 bar. ...

I'm on my second LODO batch at the secondary step. In both batches I've noticed my spunding valve slowly drops/loses pressure over the first few days of secondary and I have to add in a little CO2 to bring the pressure back up to 0.8 bar. I've tested the connection, used plumbers tape and I'm 99% sure my spunding valve does not have a leak. Is this pressure drop in secondary due to the beer absorbing the CO2 or due to the slow temp drop from 41 to 37? Is anyone else seeing this?
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Re: Spunding Valve Pressure Dropping

Postby Brody » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:27 pm

I've had that happen before, probably a slow leak somewhere
phishie

Postby phishie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:39 pm

Brody wrote:I've had that happen before, probably a slow leak somewhere

Did you find a leak in the spunding valve or in the keg hardware? This is a separate keg using the same valve as my first batch, hard to believe it's a keg issue.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:25 pm

I've had leaks in my gas in post, the lid, and now the valve itself (after dropping it) which I'm trying to sort. A keg can leak one batch and not the other depending on the seal, lube, and how everything was cleaned and reassembled.
phishie

Postby phishie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Brody wrote:I've had leaks in my gas in post, the lid, and now the valve itself (after dropping it) which I'm trying to sort. A keg can leak one batch and not the other depending on the seal, lube, and how everything was cleaned and reassembled.

It's not foolproof but I spray my keg with starsan and look for bubbles, I'm not getting any. I don't use keg lube, guess I should try it.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:05 pm

phishie wrote:
Brody wrote:I've had leaks in my gas in post, the lid, and now the valve itself (after dropping it) which I'm trying to sort. A keg can leak one batch and not the other depending on the seal, lube, and how everything was cleaned and reassembled.

It's not foolproof but I spray my keg with starsan and look for bubbles, I'm not getting any. I don't use keg lube, guess I should try it.

Could help, it's done the trick for me once or twice. Shit's a pain to get off your hands though.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:08 pm

I guess as a last resort one could submerge the whole keg equipped with the spunding valve in water. Depending on the gauge though I might keep that above the liquid level.
Ski

Postby Ski » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:13 pm

I had this happen too. I've done 3 LODO batches now with increasing attention to detail. First batch I force-carbed because I didn't have spunding valves. Tasted fantastic. Drank it fast before any O2 in the CO2 started staling the beer. Second batch I used my new spunding valves, but experienced pressure loss and had to hit it with the gas. Third batch, I tried 2 different things. I fermented to completion, and then quickly added boiled sugar solution to the fermenter. Left it for a few hours until pressure started building up in the fermenter. (I ferment in an SS conical under a little pressure ~ 1psi or so.) Then transferred to kegs under pressure. This time, I used some keg lube on the kegs, and happily I could see the kegs increasing in pressure up to about 20 psi. I should say that I brew ales - never tried a lager yet - so I was carbing the kegs at room temp, 20C/68F. The second batch I had in a fridge at 5C. Poor old ale yeast don't stand a chance that cold. Taking them back up to room temps didn't really help. I think keg lube is a must, when you have low initial pressure, to help seal the cornelius. After that, you need the right temp for your yeast. Even with ales, there is a vast improvement in the malty flavour. Loving it!
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Brody wrote:
phishie wrote:

Could help, it's done the trick for me once or twice. Shit's a pain to get off your hands though.

I should add though at this point I'm not sure I would want to open the lid. I picked up a decent bit of O2 cracking one open for gelatin (although the solution itself must have added some).
phishie

Postby phishie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Brody wrote:
Brody wrote:
phishie wrote:

I should add though at this point I'm not sure I would want to open the lid. I picked up a decent bit of O2 cracking one open for gelatin (although the solution itself must have added some).

Yup, this is for future reference.