Spunding process for Ales

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Spunding process for Ales

Postby Natebriscoe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 pm

What everyone's process for spunding Ales? I would think much of a temp (even slowly) would stall an ale fermentation.
Big Monk
Assistant Brewer

Re: Spunding process for Ales

Postby Big Monk » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:27 pm

The goal is yeast scavenging via active yeast and natural carbonation.

Whether you do that for a lager or for an ale doesn't really matter. You'd just adjust for ale temps.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: RE: Re: Spunding process for Ales

Postby Natebriscoe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Brody
Assistant Brewer

Re: Spunding process for Ales

Postby Brody » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:45 pm

There are some differences to note. Lager fermentations move at a manageable pace so it's easy to determine when to transfer for spunding.

As far as temperature goes - I haven't done any lager cold fermentation style temperature drops before the transfer with an ale. Personally, I want my ale fermentations cooking well enough to eliminate traces of sulfur or diacytel without an extended lagering period (though I suppose Diacytel is pretty normal in the English Bitters I had over there)

This presents some timing challenges, especially if you dry hop. Trying to manage cropping the yeast, dry hopping, and spunding is tough to add up. One potential solution I had is to have some sugars waiting in the receiving keg.

So ferment, crop the yeast a few days later, dry hop (while fermentation is slowing for ~3 days), then transfer to a keg with enough sugars waiting to carbonate is my current thought... though I keep messing around with it.