How are most people here measuring their fermetation temperature?

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Re: How are most people here measuring their fermetation temperature?

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:01 am

Nick_D wrote:
Weizenberg wrote:One thing I notice is that you are unable to measure the oxygen content. When I got my DO meter years ago, I was surprised how big the variations can be. For example, not mixing the o2 well enough won't do it much good either. I noticed dead spots, I noticed how easy it is to not provide enough o2 or overshoot.

In short, you are flying blind.

Now, you don't have to have a DO meter. But then you don't have to attempt the advanced stuff either.

For a decent cold fermentation all your variables need to be correct. Before I had a DO meter my attenuation was always lower than when I started to measure and have an idea what was actually going on.

It's time to get the right equipment. Maybe you can borrow one?

I agree. It's quite frustrating to be left with a variable I simply can't currently knock down, and I appreciate everyone's patience in being so helpful despite this. The only person I know with access to a DO meter, is a PhD researcher friend who works in a biology lab.... Problem is, I don't think she can take the meter from the lab. But MAYBE, bringing my wort to her lab on a weekend, and oxygenating there could be possible..... It's a BIG stretch though! I'll try to call in the favour. In the mean time, I'm saving my pennies for one myself.

Nowadays the meter is more or less just for quality control and final assurance. I've developed a feel for this over the years but it's very important to measure. Once I started measuring my FG went from a similar ballpark than yours down to where it should be. The extech is dear but it's just as important as a pH meter. If you can be bothered doing this as an experiment, then I'd do it even if that means taking it to the lab.

After that you'll probably buy one.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:18 am

Weizenberg wrote:
Nick_D wrote:
Weizenberg wrote:One thing I notice is that you are unable to measure the oxygen content. When I got my DO meter years ago, I was surprised how big the variations can be. For example, not mixing the o2 well enough won't do it much good either. I noticed dead spots, I noticed how easy it is to not provide enough o2 or overshoot.

In short, you are flying blind.

Now, you don't have to have a DO meter. But then you don't have to attempt the advanced stuff either.

For a decent cold fermentation all your variables need to be correct. Before I had a DO meter my attenuation was always lower than when I started to measure and have an idea what was actually going on.

It's time to get the right equipment. Maybe you can borrow one?

I agree. It's quite frustrating to be left with a variable I simply can't currently knock down, and I appreciate everyone's patience in being so helpful despite this. The only person I know with access to a DO meter, is a PhD researcher friend who works in a biology lab.... Problem is, I don't think she can take the meter from the lab. But MAYBE, bringing my wort to her lab on a weekend, and oxygenating there could be possible..... It's a BIG stretch though! I'll try to call in the favour. In the mean time, I'm saving my pennies for one myself.

Nowadays the meter is more or less just for quality control and final assurance. I've developed a feel for this over the years but it's very important to measure. Once I started measuring my FG went from a similar ballpark than yours down to where it should be. The extech is dear but it's just as important as a pH meter. If you can be bothered doing this as an experiment, then I'd do it even if that means taking it to the lab.

After that you'll probably buy one.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully she'll be cool with it.... I've already been in there streaking cultures, looking at yeast under microscopes. I owe her a lot of beer.

Regarding taking the DO reading. I'm guessing one needs to draw off a sample from under any foam that might have been created from oxygenating, otherwise the foam will mess with the reading ? Just thinking of what kind of vessel to drag into the lab - one with a tap at the bottom I'm guessing for samples.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:06 pm

One needs to find what works for oneself and be happy with that. For us it's all about compromise.

When using buckets I'd simply stick it in at various distances from the rim. I was quite surprised how much variation there was.

Since I've been using micro ZKG's the sample valve will do.

You're gonna do a lot of trips to that lab to establish what works for you. Considering the beer debt and fuel costs for the trips, you might just as well get the meter and be done ;)

I suspect you think she's really cute so you hold off on that purchase :P

Each to their own!

Just hang in there and keep chipping away at it. Failure only happens once one gives up.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:11 pm

My new aeration and propagation setup. Had the fermentser for a while, but being able to recirculate in the fermenter via a venturi tube helps immensely.

IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG (506.13 KiB) Viewed 942 times

I'm also beginning to use that fermenter for propagating yeast. It's ideal since I can easily oxygenate and keep it on the move, with the added bonus of complete temperature control at the same time.

IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG (440.14 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Weizenberg wrote:I suspect you think she's really cute so you hold off on that purchase :P

Ich muss sagen... das ist die wahrheit. A fortunate coincidence of sorts ;)

Also, damn that is an impressive setup there Nico ! Thanks for sharing that!
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Cheers m8

I'd still get the DO meter.

Du kannst immer noch so tun als ob Du keinen hast :D
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Weizenberg wrote:Cheers m8

I'd still get the DO meter.

Du kannst immer noch so tun als ob Du keinen hast :D

Haha! indeed. Ich spreche nur ein bisschen, aber ich verstehe Sie :twisted:

Do meter, PH, Kunze, mill, then future fancy zero O2 brewing setup I have planned. Down the rabbit hole we go! DO meter first. In the meantime, my biceps will be getting a good workout carting wort around to take readings.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:09 am

I'm not sure if anyone else here has mentioned it yet.. but putting a small circulation fan in the ferment chamber made it less critical where I put the temp probe, either thermowell or taped and insulated. Also reduced the compressor cycling.
Nick_D
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Nick_D » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:51 am

Bilsch wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else here has mentioned it yet.. but putting a small circulation fan in the ferment chamber made it less critical where I put the temp probe, either thermowell or taped and insulated. Also reduced the compressor cycling.

Thanks Bilsch! One step ahead of you. I noticed the more efficient cycling of heating/cooling immediately when I put the fans in. They are two computer case fans stuck together, running off of a 10 volt phone charger supply I cannibalised. The light is a red light as used in reptile aquariums for warming (idea being to not skunk the beer with UV wavelengths from other bulbs, as my fermenter is not light proof).
Cheers!