W34/70

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

W34/70

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 am

Some people say it's the most widely lager yeast used in Germany.

Sadly, the catalogue scheme is proprietary to the yeast lab, and W34/70 is from the one used at the Hefebank Weihenstephan (HBW). Not all manufacturers tell you the equivalent strain, and there has been some confusion on Mr Malty which one it actually is (over the years the White Labs equivalent has changed a few times).

It's not a massive deal breaker, but I thought I'd rather "hear it from the horse's mouth", and the horse obliged.

Since people put pictures up from unpacking their laptops and whatnot, I thought it might be time to put something up for home brewers.

That's quite a lot of packaging for one vial!
Attachments
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG (401.86 KiB) Viewed 858 times
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG (477.77 KiB) Viewed 858 times
IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG (491.76 KiB) Viewed 858 times
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
User avatar
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: W34/70

Postby Ancient Abbey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:08 am

I wish we could source HBW products at a reasonable cost here. I did get an email confirmation from Wyeast once that they claim 2124 is what I should use if I want the 34/70 strain. I suppose they technically didn't say it was the 34/70 strain and have a little room with the language used.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- The best do the basics better -
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: W34/70

Postby Weizenberg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:05 am

I am not sure what the shipping restrictions to the US would be. If need be I could piggyback your order onto mine and forward it to you. You probably want to get it on slants and propagate yourself. No idea on costs either. What would a carrier charge? From my experience, arranging for one's own delivery is always cheaper. That's how I get my malt from Best.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
caedus
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Re: W34/70

Postby caedus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:34 am

I got quoted for two strains, and it was going to be about 600 dollars each to be shipped to california.

Would you be willing to make agar slants and send them to us in the states? I would be happy to reimburse you for the shipping.
TheHairyHop
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: W34/70

Postby TheHairyHop » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:06 pm

A member of homebrewtalk has been sending yeast to USA from Norway. He has had to send them in very tiny vials in order to be sent as a letter. Anything that begins to be taken as a package quickly gets out of hand
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: W34/70

Postby Brandon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:09 pm

caedus wrote:I got quoted for two strains, and it was going to be about 600 dollars each to be shipped to california.

Would you be willing to make agar slants and send them to us in the states? I would be happy to reimburse you for the shipping.


Wow!

Can we get proper permits to bring it into the US via customs? I can meet up with Weizenberg (or if I have time stop at Weihenstephan since we fly in to Munich) and bring it back and at least get it into the US, then ship from here. Not sure if any of this is feasible, but I'm offering if we can find a way to do it.
User avatar
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: W34/70

Postby Ancient Abbey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Yeah, I remember my quote being in the $275-300 range per slant. I want to know, but not that badly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- The best do the basics better -
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: W34/70

Postby bjanat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:17 pm

TheHairyHop wrote:A member of homebrewtalk has been sending yeast to USA from Norway. He has had to send them in very tiny vials in order to be sent as a letter. Anything that begins to be taken as a package quickly gets out of hand

I've sent kveik from Norway to Canada using coffee filter soaked in slurry and wrapped in aluminum foil, and put in a letter.
Bryan R
Braumeister
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: W34/70

Postby Bryan R » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Yikes... I mean I have no problems dropping some coin on some brewing stuff.. Hell I am buying a canning line, but those prices for yeast are crazy!
TheHairyHop
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: W34/70

Postby TheHairyHop » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:22 pm

bjanat wrote:
TheHairyHop wrote:A member of homebrewtalk has been sending yeast to USA from Norway. He has had to send them in very tiny vials in order to be sent as a letter. Anything that begins to be taken as a package quickly gets out of hand

I've sent kveik from Norway to Canada using coffee filter soaked in slurry and wrapped in aluminum foil, and put in a letter.

that's a pretty cool idea!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest