Krausen Skimming and Its Importance

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Bryan R
Braumeister

Krausen Skimming and Its Importance

Postby Bryan R » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:41 am

As pretty much every German brewing texts states, Krausen needs to be removed, the methods usually involve skimming or allowing it to blow off. Well I put this to the test.
As the krausen starts to fall, this is when you should start to skim( if that is your chosen method)
Day 1 of skimming

Day 2 of skimming

Last day of skimming, and beer is about don'e fermenting

Beer was allowed to fully ferment and then cooled down to lagering temp (for me that is 30f beer temp)over a few days . I then sampled the beer. this method coupled with the trub drop, yields a product out of the lagering tank, that tastes simliar to a 3 week serving beer (depending on fermentation methods that could be anywhere from 7-9 week old beer). The refinement out of the fermenter is outstanding. It is now not even an option for my lager brewing(and to be honest I am thinking all my brewing) it was truly eye opening.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Beersk

Re: Krausen Skimming and Its Importance

Postby Beersk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:56 pm

What style of beer was this that you show here?
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Helles.

Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi Bryan - couple questions:

1) How often do you usually skim, once a day for say 3 days (until the Krausen stops forming)?

2) Any specialized method or is this as simple as using a sanitized stainless brewing spoon and scooping away?

I imagine the process of opening up the FV and getting in there will introduce some oxygen which could be beneficial as well during active fermentation.
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:21 am

Hey,

Once a day, until you see no more junk in the foam. I usually wait a few days(so at high Krausen).

Yup, Sanitized spoon. Alternative method would be a fermenter fill that would allow for blow off.

No, no o2 is getting in, its still actively ferementing. You want to keep o2 away from anything but wort being oxygenated.

pietro

Postby pietro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Do you ever harvest the yeast from the skims? I read a long time ago that these are some of the most viable cells (or at least those best suited for new propagation).

Is there a 30-second answer as to the practical benefits of removing the krausen? What are you removing actually, proteins?
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:00 pm

My understanding is that krausen skimming is a bigger deal for open fermentations than closed. The bitter resins float to the top because they become insoluable due to the lowered pH; they're not going to dissolve back in a closed system with CO2 in the headspace. What will make them soluable again is getting oxidized, which happens in an open system.

Production breweries in Germany that use tall, cylindroconical fermenters do not skim or blow off the krausen.

Of course, this is at scale with large fermenters that the beer doesn't sit in for very long. It could be a bigger issue for home brewers since our beer sits in the fermenter for a couple weeks usually.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm going to try filling my fementer to near capacity and use a blow-off device.
MaineBrewer

Postby MaineBrewer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:04 am