Moderator: Brandon

lhommedieu

Re: Lager Fermentation Schedules

Postby lhommedieu » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:46 am

Yes. But we German Brewers work in Plato.

When the FFT says 2.0% (0.008 SG) then you can start thinking about a transfer once it reached 4.0% (0.014 SG).

The latest point would be 2.5% (0.010 SG)
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Please excuse my inexperience. So - the FFT results in 1.008 SG = 2 Plato = 2%. Does that mean that the residual sugars in the beer are still fermentable?
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Why would you think that?

A FFT determines how much your yeast and wort combo can ferment, i.e. the final apparent attenuation. In German textbooks this is called the "Endvergärungsgrad" - which is often abbreviated to EVG.

If you want to continue a bit of fermentation during conditioning, then you need some residual fermentable sugars left. Usually this is 0.5-1.5% , sometimes even as much as 2.0% .

So, you need to transfer when your reading is higher. For 1% of additional fermentable sugars, just add that figure to the EVG.

Your EVG is 2.0 so you should therefore transfer at 2.0 + 1 = 3 Plato.

I find it more convenient to work with Plato. It doesn't take long to get used to it, and it's more convenient on many accounts.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Got it: If my EVG is 2.0 and I want to transfer at an additional 2-3% I would transfer at 4-5 Platos.

I just took a look at my hydrometer and it's tripple scale - so I'm good to go.

Thank you.
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:57 am

Think of it this way: your fast ferment test shows the absolute limit of what your wort/yeast combination is capable of. They're supposed to be done at warm temperature and with constant stirring, to get maximum fermentablity from the yeast.

Usually your actual fermentation won't reach the limit determined by the FFT. Because it's fermented at lower temperature, and without constant stirring, the yeast flocculates out of suspension before all the fermentable sugars are consumed. Some yeast strains are capable of reaching the limit, but most will flocculate before the limit is reached. The specifications for attenuation and flocculation given by the yeast manufacturer give you some insight into this.
Roachbrau
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Roachbrau » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:59 am