A Fining Method

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Bryan R
Braumeister

A Fining Method

Postby Bryan R » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:53 am

This one is a new one for me. In the past I used to fine with gelatin, and don't get me wrong it yielded great results, though I always thought of it as cheating. About 2 years ago I wrote off any post boil fining agents. But I recently got my hands on some PVPP ( ) as I have found in my research it is used quite frequently in the German brewhouses. So, what the hell, lets give it a whirl. This is the method I used:

The gelatin is used first, PVPP does not have an effect on yeast and is actually inhibited by the presence of yeast. So I boil 1 cup of distilled water for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat and add 1 slightly heaping tsp of Knox gelatin, mix and dissolve in hot water, do not boil the gelatin.

Add gelatin mixture and stir thoroughly into 30F beer (crash cool at least 24 hours prior to adding gelatin).

24 hours after gelatin: boil @ 2 cups of distilled water for 3-4 minutes to remove O2 and to sanitize the water. Cool water below 80F. Take an 8 ounce Kerr canning jar (clean and sanitized) and add 10-15 grams of PVPP and a sanitized stir bar.

Add the cooled water so the water completely fills the jar (the water will be slightly above the rim) and let the air come out of the PVPP. This takes a minute or so as the PVPP absorbs the water. As the air comes out, add water if necessary. Place the cap on jar, this should force the excess water out of the jar (the water will be slightly over the top of the lid due to water tension). This will remove nearly all air from the jar and prevent O2 from getting into your beer.

Put on stir plate for @ 90 minutes. The PVPP needs to be in "aquauous suspension", which means that none of the tiny beads should be stuck together. Mixing it in with a stir plate does this.

Tip the Kerr jar upside down so the stir bar sticks to the lid, add to beer, mix thoroughly. PVPP works best when it's mixed in well, some people don't do this and it doesn't work that well for them.

1 week later the beer will be very clear, 2 weeks later it will be brilliantly clear. I know some people do this in the keg, but I wouldn't, it works best in the fermenter.

Shot of the PVPP on the stir plate

It was poured into the beer about 4 days ago, so I still have a ways to go but will upgrade this thread as I progress. All the finings will be dumped. Then the beer will be kegged and served.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu