Issues with the process

Lagering methods and times

Moderator: Brandon

Weizenberg
German Brewing

Re: Issues with the process

Postby Weizenberg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:42 am

caedus wrote:Cavpilot... try jumping it to another keg. I had the same issue with yeast pick up and it was a real pain in the ass. I jumped it to other kegs and within a week it cleared up nicely and tastes great.

Also keep in mind, a shit load of yeast in suspension does throw off your hydrometer readings. We are only talking a small amount, but still worth noting. Weizen is right in the fact that we really should be looking at your fermentation moreso than anything, I have kept to a 142/159 step mashing regime if not a 152 single infusion, and had no issues with attenuation this year. We are probably using the same crop of malt.

Yes, 'umdrücken' is a great method for this and it is practiced by amateurs and professionals alike.

Note that a regular hydrometer isn't so good for establishing final attenuation. A hydrometer with a 0-7% scale is much better suited. Some are even conveniently calibrated at 5C.

https://www.allgaeu-zapf.de/products/en ... xon_id=110
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am

Cavpilot2000 wrote:There is no reason whatsoever that an adequate volume, oxygenated yeast pitch shouldn't reach terminal gravity under those conditions.

One reason would be poor yeast viability. Another, low yeast vitality.
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:
Cavpilot2000 wrote:There is no reason whatsoever that an adequate volume, oxygenated yeast pitch shouldn't reach terminal gravity under those conditions.

:tu

Indeed. A subtle but nonetheless essential distinction.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Cavpilot2000

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:

It's possible. I don't think so, but it's possible.
I pitched a full liter of third generation slurry from my Pils that had been primed with a "wakeup"/vitality starter charge of wort at the start of brewing so that it was already foaming when pitched. I always try to use a one pint vitality starter that I call a "wakeup charge" a few hours before pitching. It all but eliminates lag, and is usually actively munching away at this food by the time it is pitched.
Could there still be a viability/vitality issue going on? Sure. But short of pulling out a microscope, there's no way to know and nothing more to be done about it.
I am going to try to top it with some kreusen and see if activity starts back up and the gravity drops, but if it doesn't, I think I can fairly definitively say it's not a yeast problem.
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Postby lupulus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Thread is becoming too long and I am losing track :-)
You said fermentation took longer than anticipated, right? If that is the case, and you have good control of your oxygenation and fermentation temp, and given that you pitched a lot of yeast, vitality is a likely issue. Sulfide aromas during fermentation also points out to yeast problems as Abbey mentioned.
If I misread your comments and you had a quick fermentation and no sulfide aromas during it, incomplete gelatinization at the beta stage or your beta rest at too high a temperature seem more likely.
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Cavpilot2000

Postby Cavpilot2000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:38 pm

lupulus wrote:Thread is becoming too long and I am losing track :-)
You said fermentation took longer than anticipated, right? If that is the case, and you have good control of your oxygenation and fermentation temp, and given that you pitched a lot of yeast, vitality is a likely issue. Sulfide aromas during fermentation also points out to yeast problems as Abbey mentioned.
If I misread your comments and you had a quick fermentation and no sulfide aromas during it, incomplete gelatinization at the beta stage or your beta rest at too high a temperature seem more likely.

I had a strong intial fermentation with a fair bit of sulfur, but WLP 830 produces a good amount of sulfur anyway. I have not yet learned to distinguish the different sulfurous compounds by aroma, but this seemed normal yeast sulfur smell, albeit quite strong.

I think adding some kreusen will really nail down if there is still fermentable wort and the yeast just pooped out, or if there is something else afoot.