Weizenbock

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Weizenbock

Postby Smellyglove » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 am

I'm about to try my first Weizenbock. I haven't found any in-depth info about this yet, still doing some research.

Anyway. I feel like I'm standing with both legs on separate platforms. It's a Weizen, and it's a Bock.

I'm looking for how to get that clean malt-character from a Bock, which is supposed to be lagered, while also having the esters from a Weizen. I feel like if I'd lager it for about two mont's I'd be missing out on the fresh esters.

Any take on this? My overthinking mind tells me that maybe I'd want to lager it post fermentation in a keg, then bring it back up in temp, and add krausen and bottle carb it?
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Weizenbock

Postby lupulus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:49 am

Bock is just a reference to the ABV (or OG) of the beer. I would suggest bottling with sugar or speize after primary and 24-h cold crash, give it a week to carbonate and store at cellar temperature for a few months. The Wheat book details the Aventinus storage process if I remember correctly.
With aging, flavor evolves and unlike regular Weissbier, the evolution is not necessarily bad, so do not be surprised if some recommend drinking it fresh and others prefer the aged versions.
In my view the cold crash is really important to minimize the yeast in the bottle to what is needed to carbonate, and I personally prefer that it ages for a few months for more complex flavor.
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Hm. I see the aging for several months, from a Bock-standpoint though.

I had some Weizenbocks recently, I can't remember which ones though, and they all had some isoamyl acetate to them, which In my mind will be pretty diminished after a few months of aging?

But, aren't Weizenbocks supposed/are ok to be hazy, because of the yeast? And in my mind the suspended yeast is the one which gives a decent amount of flavor.
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Ah. The wheat-book. I'm just a few pages in to it. Thanks!

Maybe I'll just force carb it.. But my thought with speise was only to get a refermentation going to revive some of the esters again.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:19 am

Why not try a split batch and drink one fresh and let the other lager and age a bit, then report back on your preferences?

FWIW, I like them fresh. I don't feel like the isoamyl character improves, rather just new and different esters are created from precursors in the beer. Some are complimentary and some distract. I always come back to bread as an example. Hard, stale bread has its own flavor, and some may like it better, but I prefer it fresh out of the oven.
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Vollbier, Festbier, Bock, Doppelbock are nothing but old-fashioned tax-denominations which are carried over from less enlightened times.

Back then, beer was taxed not by ABV but by original gravity organised in bands.

The only advice for Bock that you need is that you need more yeast (proportionally).
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Smellyglove
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Smellyglove » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks. Yeah I'll see if I can keep my hands away enough so I'll try to sample on every other week or so.