Dry Hopping and Spunding

How are you fermenting?

Moderator: Brandon

Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Dry Hopping and Spunding

Postby Natebriscoe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 am

Dry Hopping in not very German, but though this forum may have some good input. What experiences has everyone had with dry hopping while spunding?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Re: Dry Hopping and Spunding

Postby Owenbräu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 pm

I like to dry hop in the fermenter, just after high krausen. Ales attenuate much faster and sometimes the krausen drops before you can catch it. In that case, I will add 1 tsp of sugar with the dry hop additions to goose the yeast just a touch to metabolize all the oxygen. It may just be insurance, but it seems to work for me.
- The best do the basics better -
lupulus
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Dry Hopping and Spunding

Postby lupulus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

I used cryo-hops a few times in the keg for hoppy american ales. They work great provided you have a process to ensure the pickup tube is not clogged (many of my pick ups float so this is not a problem for me). I do not spund ales, just keg-condition.
German hops get too grassy for my taste when used for dry-hopping. I prefer the subtle aroma of late German hops in hoppy German beers such as Pils or Alt.
I have also done what Abbey is doing many times, just not with the sugar. I do it around Day 4 just when the airlock starts to slow down.
Ich trinke Bier nur an Tagen die mit G enden , und Mittwochs