Sanitizing/Purging a Keg with SMB Solution?

Filtering, fining, bottling, etc

Moderator: Brandon

caedus
Apprentice Brewer

Sanitizing/Purging a Keg with SMB Solution?

Postby caedus » Thu May 26, 2016 8:57 pm

I was just thinking about this. Why not sanitize the keg with a pre-boiled solution of SMB water, then push it out with CO2? One could even follow the Techbrau method of using it like a giant airlock (perhaps too much pressure) and push it out slowly with the CO2 produced by fermentation.

Any residue left over from the sani rinse would further reduce oxygen uptake.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Re: Sanitizing/Purging a Keg with SMB Solution?

Postby Ancient Abbey » Thu May 26, 2016 9:02 pm

It's been debated. For transferring to spunden, it's not completely necessary because you will have active yeast to consume residual oxygen. For umdrucken, it may be the best option.

At the same time, you could fill the keg through the liquid post with boiling water, and it will sanitize and not leave any O behind.
- The best do the basics better -
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sat May 28, 2016 4:04 am

I'm doing this all the time. With boiling hot water and you can daisy chain kegs too. Works a treat.
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Sat May 28, 2016 11:07 am

Start with a clean keg. PBW at 160F; Rinse 160F; Boiling Water and let sit until needed.

Push out water with CO2 and purge keg. Fill using "beer out" post as described above.
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Sat May 28, 2016 3:56 pm

lhommedieu wrote:.... and let sit until needed....

Not sure if you mean minutes, hours or days, but if you let the water cool too much it will suck the lid down as the water contracts. I get the liquid out as soon as I can and store the kegs dry with 10PSI.
- The best do the basics better -
lhommedieu

Postby lhommedieu » Tue May 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Ancient Abbey wrote:
lhommedieu wrote:.... and let sit until needed....

Not sure if you mean minutes, hours or days, but if you let the water cool too much it will suck the lid down as the water contracts. I get the liquid out as soon as I can and store the kegs dry with 10PSI.

Agreed. Typically the boiling step is done within a short time of kegging and then the keg is vented. Final step is to open the pressure vent and fill the keg from the Beer-Out side. Das Alte mentioned attaching a tube from the Gas-In port into a container of water; the keg is filled when the bubbles stop. I like this idea because you have a nearly-closed system and the beer fills up most of the head space.