SMB at bottling to preserve hop flavor/aroma

Filtering, fining, bottling, etc

Moderator: Brandon

mpietropaoli

Re: RE: Re: SMB at bottling to preserve hop flavor/aroma

Postby mpietropaoli » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Bryan R wrote:Dosing inline on transfer via a syringe. That's how I add anything.

Then use plumber + duct tape on the line afterwards? Or does it just self plug?
There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
ajk

Re: SMB at bottling to preserve hop flavor/aroma

Postby ajk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Bryan R wrote:Dosing inline on transfer via a syringe. That's how I add anything.

You've mentioned this technique before, and I too am intrigued. Do you use some kind of hospital IV equipment?
missiletech

Postby missiletech » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Also the amount of sugar that can be boiled in water is pretty substantial, I usually use a very tiny amount of water.

56g-113g into 1/2 cup of water or less I've used in the past works fine.

-SteVe
missiletech

Postby missiletech » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Come to think of it, I had to move a carboy still hooked up to my recirculation device much similar to this:

http://byo.com/hops/item/351-build-a-burton-union-system-projects

and I added a very tiny amount of SMB in preparation for bottling about a week ago. This device allows me to fill my carboy to the top and in fact I had to take samples just to get enough room for the bung to go in. Never had to worry about losing any blow off this way (so far).

-SteVe
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 am

I've dumped two batches of APA that were mostly bittered with whirlpool additions. Something about the SMB is not interacting well with the extra hoppy beers that I've made. I may try a greatly reduced dose on my next batch, but right now SMB and massive hopping rates are not for me, although it could be a yeast issue.
Last edited by Ancient Abbey on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- The best do the basics better -
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Postby Natebriscoe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:31 am

Ancient Abbey wrote:I've dumped two batches of APA that were mostly bittered with whirlpool additions. Something about the SMB is not interacting well with the extra hoppy beers that I've made. I may try a greatly reduced dose on my next batch, but right now SMB and massive hopping rates are not for me.

I have done 2 ipa's and a pale ale with smb that turned out very good, nothing but good clean/dry malt flavors and crisp hops. But I have an English pale ale that has a strange sulfur note that really throws it off. What yeast are you using?
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Wyeast 1332, which I'm told is an English strain.

I've not had this issue with the Belgian strains or German ale (alt and hefe) yeast.
- The best do the basics better -
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: RE: SMB at bottling to preserve hop flavor/aroma

Postby Natebriscoe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:49 pm

Ancient Abbey wrote:Wyeast 1332, which I'm told is an English strain.

I've not had this issue with the Belgian strains or German ale (alt and hefe) yeast.

For me 1469 and wlp530 don't seem to like smb. Sound like we need a new thread for this
mpietropaoli

Postby mpietropaoli » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Natebriscoe wrote:
Ancient Abbey wrote:I've dumped two batches of APA that were mostly bittered with whirlpool additions. Something about the SMB is not interacting well with the extra hoppy beers that I've made. I may try a greatly reduced dose on my next batch, but right now SMB and massive hopping rates are not for me.

I have done 2 ipa's and a pale ale with smb that turned out very good, nothing but good clean/dry malt flavors and crisp hops. But I have an English pale ale that has a strange sulfur note that really throws it off. What yeast are you using?

What yeast did you use in the ones that turned out well? Our house hop-forward beers, we use Conan, which is derived from London III I believe.
There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SMB at bottling to preserve hop flavor/aroma

Postby Natebriscoe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:06 pm

mpietropaoli wrote:
Natebriscoe wrote:

What yeast did you use in the ones that turned out well? Our house hop-forward beers, we use Conan, which is derived from London III I believe.

Wlp090 had worked well so far.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk