Priming with Sugar in the Keg

Filtering, fining, bottling, etc

Moderator: Brandon

Brody
Assistant Brewer

Priming with Sugar in the Keg

Postby Brody » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:29 pm

In an attempt to carry less yeast into my serving keg I'm trying out priming in the serving keg for the first time.

I tried out Nico's 21 day lager schedule but let the beer finish out in the fermentation keg (with a shortened dip tube). Today I did a keg-keg transfer into a purged keg with some sugar in it (I think if this works I'll switch to speise).

Has anyone messed around with this? I'm not positive how long it typically takes to carbonate a keg like this, ~ a week?
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Priming with Sugar in the Keg

Postby mchrispen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:11 am

It's about the same as bottling, although I would condition at fermentation temps. So add an extra week. It will need additional time to clear if the yeast is powdery.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:58 am

I'm actually up to 59f based off the secondary temps in this schedule (https://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com/20 ... n-21-days/). I haven't bottled in years. I feel like I let it sit for like a week or 3 before the fridge?
mchrispen
Apprentice Brewer

Postby mchrispen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:43 am

I never bottle conditioned lagers before. Ales sure - especially belgians do well with a room temperature conditioning. Not saying it wouldn't work.

I have keg conditioned a couple batches, and with lager yeast, I really don't like the idea of taking the temps up too high that might impact the malt flavors. I have no data to back that up however. I just racked my third spunden batch and really happy with the results, keeping the spund kegs at fermentation temps for a week (to finish ferment) and then slowly crashing to lager temps and then transferring clear beer into a clean purged keg.
Natebriscoe
Assistant Brewer

Re: RE: Priming with Sugar in the Keg

Postby Natebriscoe » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 pm