Pretzels

Moderator: Brandon

Brandon
German Brewing

Re: Pretzels

Postby Brandon » Wed May 18, 2016 1:00 pm

Wow, that looks nice! We've done some sour dough, but mostly traditional yeast breads these days. My wife bakes bread (style looks similar to your photos) several times a week. $5/loaf for that fluffy stuff at the store my ass. :) I'd be curious to hear how the wild yeast turns out in pretzels.
zwiller

Postby zwiller » Wed May 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Yeah, looks awesome. Just like the pretzels, I would do sour dough all the time if the process was dialed in. Just how much time does it take to crank out a loaf like that?
mpietropaoli

Postby mpietropaoli » Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 am

zwiller wrote:Yeah, looks awesome. Just like the pretzels, I would do sour dough all the time if the process was dialed in. Just how much time does it take to crank out a loaf like that?

once you have a good starter, its really quick. With any wild yeast, you do have to be ready to accept some variability in fermentation, but generally if your starter is strong, it will leaven better than commercial yeast. This is my baseline recipe which I vary really really slightly each time. Basically mix the dough one day by hand, knead it a few times with my hands if I have time over the next few hours, let it sit at room temp overnight ("bulk fermentation"), shape it, score it, bake it.

90g starter
600g water (~100*F)
15g honey (or DME or sugar)
16g sea or kosher salt

400g rye flour (have also used whole wheat or 200g WW, 200g rye)
400g APW or preferably bread flour

I mix the water, salt, starter and honey before adding the flours just to get them incorporated and dissolved, then add the flours and mix. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then knead it for about 5 minutes.

After shaping the next day, place on parchment paper, preheat oven and dutch oven to 500*F for one hour, remove top of dutch oven, score dough, place dough with parchment paper inside dutch oven, replace top of dutch oven, reduce oven temp to 450*F, throw 1/2 cup of water into the floor of the oven (or pizza stone) to create steam, bake for 15 minutes, remove top of dutch oven, continue baking until internal temp of bread is 205*F (usually 20-25 min)
There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
zwiller

Postby zwiller » Thu May 19, 2016 11:18 am

Awesome cliff notes! THANKS. Note to self: clean the oven... :lol:
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Thu May 19, 2016 4:02 pm

The 'Brezn' (as it's correctly spelled) look gorgeous Brandon! I think I need to give it a go myself!

Pefrect with Obatzda
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
Crunk
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 pm

I really like forum, I enjoy smoking a lot of meat in my smoker, I have made Pizza and bread on my weber kettle, seeing these pretzels makes me wanna try them on the weber,
Striving to brew better beer every time
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Crunk wrote:I really like forum, I enjoy smoking a lot of meat in my smoker, I have made Pizza and bread on my weber kettle, seeing these pretzels makes me wanna try them on the weber,

I have a Weber smoker, too. (and Weber grill...don't tell the Texans...I grill with gas. :( ) I would not have thought to put pretzels (Brezn) on the smoker. But I do use lye!
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing

Postby Ancient Abbey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 pm

I must be descendent from Bambergians bc I think smoke compliments everything
- The best do the basics better -
Crunk
Apprentice Brewer

Postby Crunk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm

I wouldn't smoke the pretzels, but I would attempt to bake them on the grill,
Striving to brew better beer every time
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Ancient Abbey wrote:I must be descendent from Bambergians bc I think smoke compliments everything

Speaking of which, I made these with pork chops, beans and rot kohl last night:

https://www.stiglmeier.com/product/bread-dumplings/

I highly recommend Stiglmeier for German-style meats. Their landjaeger https://www.stiglmeier.com/product/landjaeger/ is fantastic and spot on to the real thing, especially for taking on a hike or boating.

Random thought here, but worth a mention.