Bread

Moderator: Brandon

User avatar
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Bread

Postby Bilsch » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:52 pm

My friend in Berlin and I are always trying to best each other in the bread making department. While he likes darker more rustic beads, I prefer lighter French type Boules. The Germans of course have the greater advantage with the availability of far superior ingredients then do we, however I bested him with the secret flower pot technique. Few days later he wallpapered my phone with texted photos of him drinking Alt at Schumacher. Sign.. at least I had bread to eat.
Attachments
IMG_5181.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG (29.44 KiB) Viewed 754 times
IMG_5184.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG (33.18 KiB) Viewed 754 times
User avatar
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Bread

Postby Bilsch » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Took a bread making class in Paris last Sept, below is is the results of our class's efforts. Bread in France has it's own "it" and as with beer, it's mostly about the process but can be screwed up by inferior ingredients. For anyone interested in bread baking, for you a photo I surreptitiously took of the recipe for French it. :)
Attachments
IMG_5927.JPG
IMG_5927.JPG (147.34 KiB) Viewed 742 times
IMG_5928.JPG
IMG_5928.JPG (136.19 KiB) Viewed 742 times
User avatar
Brody
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Bread

Postby Brody » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:08 am

What's the flower pot method? I've been using the dutch oven method
10897119_10153095453817162_6211570195874026017_n.jpg
10897119_10153095453817162_6211570195874026017_n.jpg (125.38 KiB) Viewed 671 times

18400_10153095453887162_6372108829098115738_n.jpg
18400_10153095453887162_6372108829098115738_n.jpg (168.71 KiB) Viewed 671 times
.
User avatar
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Bread

Postby Bilsch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:18 pm

Probably roughly similar but the pots are used as domes and don't touch the bread except the edges a bit. The idea is to preheat the pots and your baking stone at ~500f for at least 45 min then drop the round loaves on the stone and cover with dome. They keep in the steam for beautiful crust and more importantly allow better spring and crumb. Pull the domes off half way through baking to brown the loaves. Notice added metal eye bolts for handling with pliers.
User avatar
Brody
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Bread

Postby Brody » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:25 pm

Bilsch wrote:Probably roughly similar but the pots are used as domes and don't touch the bread except the edges a bit. The idea is to preheat the pots and your baking stone at ~500f for at least 45 min then drop the round loaves on the stone and cover with dome. They keep in the steam for beautiful crust and more importantly allow better spring and crumb. Pull the domes off half way through baking to brown the loaves. Notice added metal eye bolts for handling with pliers.



Nice, yea basically same concept with the dutch oven. Leave the lid on for 30m to keep the steam in, lid off for 10-20m at 475-500f
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Bread

Postby Brandon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Brody wrote:
Bilsch wrote:Probably roughly similar but the pots are used as domes and don't touch the bread except the edges a bit. The idea is to preheat the pots and your baking stone at ~500f for at least 45 min then drop the round loaves on the stone and cover with dome. They keep in the steam for beautiful crust and more importantly allow better spring and crumb. Pull the domes off half way through baking to brown the loaves. Notice added metal eye bolts for handling with pliers.



Nice, yea basically same concept with the dutch oven. Leave the lid on for 30m to keep the steam in, lid off for 10-20m at 475-500f


Looking good! We do something similar here, too...

IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 657 times
User avatar
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Bread

Postby Bilsch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Those are some good looking loaves! Really like the spiral from the raising baskets.
User avatar
Brody
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Bread

Postby Brody » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:38 am

Awesome, yea love the circle look
User avatar
Ancient Abbey
German Brewing
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Bread

Postby Ancient Abbey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:41 am

You guys are killing me with those pics!
- The best do the basics better -
bjanat
Apprentice Brewer
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Bread

Postby bjanat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:08 am

Bilsch wrote:Took a bread making class in Paris last Sept, below is is the results of our class's efforts. Bread in France has it's own "it" and as with beer, it's mostly about the process but can be screwed up by inferior ingredients. For anyone interested in bread baking, for you a photo I surreptitiously took of the recipe for French it. :)

Nice, but what is Poolish?

I usually make sourdough, a starter on day one, knead on day two, fridge overnight in a form, then rise during the day. After six months if doing it, it tastes ok, but it doesn't have the big air bubbles. Harder to make good bread than good beer, I think. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest