Obatzda

All other topics - cheese, fermented vegetables, etc.

Moderator: Brandon

ajk

Obatzda

Postby ajk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:38 pm

Anybody love Obatzda?

I tried several recipes I found online after returning from Munich, and this one is closest to the best of what I had there. Use less of the Brie rind if you want it milder, but I use the whole rind. It's gets better after a night in the fridge. Half a batch is usually plenty for sharing ...
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Obatzda

Postby Weizenberg » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:29 am

The best cheese is Bavarian Romadour (never heard of Brie being in there) If you can get hold of smoked paprika, then that's favourable. Depends how one likes it. The recipe varies from family to family ;)
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
ajk

Re: Obatzda

Postby ajk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:27 am

Weizenberg wrote:The best cheese is Bavarian Romadour (never heard of Brie being in there) If you can get hold of smoked paprika, then that's favourable. Depends how one likes it. The recipe varies from family to family ;)

Thanks, I'll look for that cheese! Yeah, I assume the Brie is just a good substitute that can easily be found outside of Bavaria.

I'd considered using smoked paprika but have never tried it, partly because I often enjoy this cheese with Rauchbier, and I don't like more than one smoked thing at a time (just seems to reduce my perception of smoke in one thing or the other). But I will say the quality of paprika is very important—there's a lot in there!
User avatar
Weizenberg
German Brewing
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Obatzda

Postby Weizenberg » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:39 am

The nice thing with making one's own food (and drinks) is that one always make them exactly as one likes them. When I don't have Romadur available, a Camembert will also do. It surely can taste great with Brie although I never tried it!
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
lhommedieu

Re: Obatzda

Postby lhommedieu » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Sounds like a great spread to put on rye bread. Recipes that I've looked at include onions and beer, as well as carroway or paprika.

My German-American family serves a crab dip made with crab meat, melted cream cheese, mayonaise, vermouth, onion, garlic, and mustard on Christmas Eve. The dish is made in a double-boiler and served warm in a chafing dish; it's scooped up with chucnks of rye and pumpernickel bread. I'd love to know its origins.
Techbrau
German Brewing
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Obatzda

Postby Techbrau » Mon May 09, 2016 11:37 pm

My base recipe is very simple but open to interpretation, variation, and additions. Scale the following for however large a batch you want:

4 parts camembert to 2 parts marscapone to 1 part butter (by weight)
salt, pepper, smoked paprika, caraway seed to taste
approx. 1 diced shallot for every 100g camembert you use
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
User avatar
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Obatzda

Postby Bilsch » Tue May 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Quick and dirty cheese 'sorta' spread for pretzel dipping.. 50/50 butter and cheez whiz mixed roughly, on the cold side, to leave lumps.
Yes yes, I know it sounds like heresy and I was aghast the first time it was put in front of me. But I have to admit it isn't too bad considering I HATE cheese whiz.
User avatar
Brandon
German Brewing
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Obatzda

Postby Brandon » Tue May 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Bilsch wrote:Quick and dirty cheese 'sorta' spread for pretzel dipping.. 50/50 butter and cheez whiz mixed roughly, on the cold side, to leave lumps.
Yes yes, I know it sounds like heresy and I was aghast the first time it was put in front of me. But I have to admit it isn't too bad considering I HATE cheese whiz.


hahaha, sounds like what we get here in Philly. Also works on Cheese Steaks. :)
User avatar
Brody
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: Obatzda

Postby Brody » Tue May 10, 2016 11:31 pm

Brandon wrote:
Bilsch wrote:Quick and dirty cheese 'sorta' spread for pretzel dipping.. 50/50 butter and cheez whiz mixed roughly, on the cold side, to leave lumps.
Yes yes, I know it sounds like heresy and I was aghast the first time it was put in front of me. But I have to admit it isn't too bad considering I HATE cheese whiz.


hahaha, sounds like what we get here in Philly. Also works on Cheese Steaks. :)


Wiz mixed with butter.. jesus haha.
User avatar
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Obatzda

Postby Bilsch » Wed May 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Like other things, you just have to try it and see.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest