Bitburger

For discussion of German breweries, reviews of their beer,
tasting notes, impressions, their brewing processes (distribution to the US, decoction
mashing, recipes, flavor notes, etc).

Moderator: Brandon

darthkotor

Bitburger

Postby darthkotor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:16 am

Attachments
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 10030 times
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 10030 times
IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 10030 times
darthkotor

Re: Bitburger

Postby darthkotor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:27 am

Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:02 am

I think its safe to say it's a standard Hochkurz, 62/72. What kind of caramel did you taste? When brewed properly as little as .5% will come though in the finished beer.

They show the 3 vessels of the brewery, but if you look in the pictures you see 2 smaller vessels in the background to the left side....Interesting.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
darthkotor

Postby darthkotor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:18 pm

The caramel reminded me of dusting pastries with sugar before you bake them. Just enough so the sugar melts and gets a bit browned.

On one of the other pages they said the pilot batch system was a 5 vessel brewhouse, thought that was interesting also.
Owenbräu
German Brewing

Postby Owenbräu » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Which caramel malt would you say it lines up with? Carahell, carared, caraamber, caramunich (I, II, or III) or maybe carabohemian?
- The best do the basics better -
darthkotor

Postby darthkotor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:02 pm

To be completely honest I have no experience with those malts (that's why I am here!). I have some carahell on the shelf that I am using in my next helles.

The closest thing I can think of is the smell of english caramel 15, but with brown sugar tossed on top and toasted for 15 minutes.

I have seen many, many references to carahell being used in German Pils, so I am going to assume its that.
Weizenberg
German Brewing

Postby Weizenberg » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:20 pm

A classic double decoction isn't a Hochkurz schedule. Hochkurz is a modern schedule that became very wide-spread in the 60's.

But that's splitting hairs.

What's interesting is how he emphasised that they adapt the schedule to the malt and that the attenuation:bitterness ratio is an important yardstick ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Quest for Edelstoff - http://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com
darthkotor

Postby darthkotor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:06 pm

I know classic double and hochkurz are different mash schedules, hence why I specified that the mention of attenuation and drinkability lead me to think its a Hochkurz decoction.

I also specified that the classical decoction was different from hochkurz in regards to not using a second sacc rest.

I just find it a bit funny how on this forum, its a point to take pride in to get down to the nitty gritty detail. To cite sources and provide sound advice. To not just pull a comment out of your arse and post it without reading the parent post and provide no additional detail.

The only reason you, WeizenBerg, posted the comment was to flaunt your knowledge of brewing history. It didn't add anything to the conversation, nor did it actually critique my post. You mentioned attenuation to bitterness being "an important yardstick" like you are the only homebrewer who knows that. Attenuation/Bitterness ratio's are a super common measurement mentioned in almost every homebrew book and used in almost every microbrewery in America.

But that's just splitting hairs, I guess.
ajk

Postby ajk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:39 am

I appreciate everyone's posts on this forum, and I hope they all continue.