Warsteiner Premium German Pilsner

For discussion of German breweries, reviews of their beer,
tasting notes, impressions, their brewing processes (distribution to the US, decoction
mashing, recipes, flavor notes, etc).

Moderator: Brandon

narcout

Warsteiner Premium German Pilsner

Postby narcout » Sun May 22, 2016 4:03 pm

I just had a bottle of Warsteiner Premium German Pilsner.

To me, it has that distinctive German lager flavor that I don't really know how to describe. Do you all consider this beer as having "it"?

I'm wondering if it has that particular character you all are taking steps to replicate.
Brew4Fun

Re: Warsteiner Premium German Pilsner

Postby Brew4Fun » Mon May 23, 2016 1:22 am

Several days ago I had a can of bitburger (premium beer?) and it has that typical German lager quality to it. I kept wanting to relate its character to some kind of breakfast cereal, and the memory of creamofwheat in my youth came closest. Then yesterday I read a description from Bryan R that used the same description. That, to me, is the description that works best did me at this time.

In the same post was mentioned honey bunches of oats as a descriptor.

Breakfast cereal descriptions seem to be common relations that can be made but I'm certain those will refine over time. It's a he'll of a lot better than "it" :D
Bryan R
Braumeister

Postby Bryan R » Mon May 23, 2016 7:45 am

Yes, Just about every German produced lager, has that.. Some more than other but its generally always there.. Lingering fresh malt( like chewing on fresh grain), and floral hops.

-German Brewing Founder- :tu
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Visit our home at: and join us on Facebook at
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Mon May 23, 2016 6:01 pm

The problem with reducing "it" to the taste of breakfast cereal is that it misses out on all of the other aspects.

Brandon's 5 points are a great description that capture the flavor holistically. If I were to add my own two cents in my own words it would go something like:

Fresh, crisp malt flavors reminiscent of fresh grain, breakfast cereal, honey, flowers, and caramels. These flavors should be refreshing, not cloying or stale tasting. The wort taste test gives you a decent idea of what this flavor should be.

Fresh, vibrant hop aroma and flavor that's floral and/or spicy but with zero of the grassy/vegetal aroma/flavor. It should almost remind you of dry hop aroma, but less forward and without the grass.

Yeast character that makes me feel like I'm holding a glass of liquid nitrogen. It's very slightly estery in a floral (not fruity) way and there should be a hint of sulfur.

The balance of flavors will be different from beer to beer. But together they should be a harmonious symphony that begins with the aroma, continues throughout the sip, and lingers long after you gulp it down.

The only way to truly understand the flavor is to experience it. Once you know it, it's unmistakable.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
narcout

Postby narcout » Mon May 23, 2016 6:18 pm

The particular flavor characteristic I'm thinking of isn't really breakfast cereal like, it's almost like a subtle spiciness (maybe a very light tang?).

I can smell a beer and know right away if it's going to have this flavor. I need to start tasting more continental lagers, but I pick it up in Warsteiner, Bitburger, and Heineken.

Yesterday, I also had a Sierra Nevada Summerfest and an Angel City Brewing Pilsner. Both were good; neither one of them had the flavor I picked up in the Warsteiner.

Are any of you guys going to the NHC? It would be cool to sit down and taste some beer with you all.
Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Brandon
German Brewing

Postby Brandon » Mon May 23, 2016 6:38 pm