Hofbrau House

For discussion of German breweries, reviews of their beer,
tasting notes, impressions, their brewing processes (distribution to the US, decoction
mashing, recipes, flavor notes, etc).

Moderator: Brandon

mpietropaoli

Hofbrau House

Postby mpietropaoli » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 am

In the melee of discussion following the release of the paper, the topic of Hofbrau was brought up along the way by a O2-denier. Essentially saying that the stateside operations (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Vegas, etc.) are not equipped to brew in a low-O2 environment, so how could they possibly be producing traditional German beers on such a small scale. Anyone have any insight?

I ask because I was recently at the one in Cleveland and my goodness was the helles fantastic...
There's no easy way out. There's no shortcut home.
Kit_B
Apprentice Brewer

Re: Hofbrau House

Postby Kit_B » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:53 pm

I don't know about Pittsburgh or Cleveland but the Vegas Hofbrau has it's beer shipped in. I talked to the manager the first time I went there 5 years back and he said they bring it in refer containers from a contract brewery in Bavaria. Was there again less then a year ago and the beer was the same fantastic.
On a similar note.. I was at the Paulaner Bräuhaus Singapore 6 months ago, who does brew onsite, and it was absolutely horrible worse then microbrew beer crap. Tried the helles and hefe and spit them back in the glass and left it sitting on the bar. I inquired if they had anything, even in bottles, that was actually made in Germany.. to which said they do not serve anything that isn't brewed onsite. It's quite depressing when your taste buds are fooled by your eyes and ears into believing whats coming and then that swill hits your palate. :evil:

Jumped in a cab and went 11 clicks SW to a place called Brotzeit who had the proper stuff imported by the keg and in very good shape. Happy again.
Brody
Assistant Brewer

Postby Brody » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Techbrau
German Brewing

Postby Techbrau » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:36 pm

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Bilsch
Assistant Brewer

Postby Bilsch » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:18 pm